Installation V Maintenance

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, I started out in heavy industry maintenance and have worked in both installation and maintenance camps. I must say the maintenance route makes you a more rounded and flexible individual. I currently work in maintenance but the odd installation is sometimes a welcome change and there is not the usual time constraints so you can take your time and do a job to be proud of.

I loved that too  from our Scots friend  " A wee course " 

I think I'd say  stick with it to be honest , you'll learn a lot , always revert to installations later .  Get the experience , and get the "wee courses " under your belt . ;)

I began on heavy plant maintenance like 1000 ton cold extrusion presses and  HV induction furnaces....moved onto installation to find I didn't know what a switched spur unit was ....then found myself converting cab driven overhead cranes to radio control ....then back on installation ...then onto a giant brass holding furnace meltdown ..rebuild the panels  replace all the wiring etc ...then remained on installations ..then estimating & supervising ...then self employed...then the final accolade .......a poster on the best Forum in the UK   :)     

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent a good few years in quarrying myself Tony. English China Clays as they were called or ECC. Cold miserable, long hours mucky but I made a living out of it!
[SIZE=medium]Limestone for me. I escaped the quarry and spent 23 years on the kilns, both lime and cement. Then ceramics followed by iron founding, you may notice I don’t like being cold.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Venn Quarry was gritstone, I read the environmental impact study last night. What a load of green tinged whitewash![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]There’s still two workable outcrops if they went for it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The limestone quarry I worked at had abstraction licences for river water. The quarry a mile away was for basalt. The lower levels needed dewatering.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Simple arrangement “you don’t want it, we do.” [/SIZE]

SSS - I want one.

Don`t quite know exactly what it does......but  I need one, anyway.

;)
it keeps power on during intermittent faults. but for how much they will cost, then my customers are just going to have to go without some leccy until the intermittent fault is found and fixed...