Is it just me who finds this bad practise?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's in big bold letters in the spec mate. NO NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS TO BE TAKEN TO SWITCH BOXES

Or something to that effect, it's deffo there though.
This is one of those stupid ideas that circulate within our trade. See my thread " Myths of the Trade" I think this one is in there. Some of these local council COWs are right berks TBH. This misconception was around in days of the 14th Ed. , a lack of understanding of the Reg. that said "Only the live conductor can be switched with a single pole switch, not the neutral" .

You get this from people who have never actually done the job .

Fact remains that they genersally do not allow it. I work for several councils / Housing Associations and they are very particular. 3 plate wiring ONLY. Smacked botty if caught using your head and taking a neutral down to the switch.

What about using single core + e for the line conductors and DI singles for the neutrals, that way can loop through the switches without the neutrals ever going near them.

Outside emergency lighting requires a permanant live.

Providing there is a way to isolate there is really no problem with any lighting to have a permanant live.

Fact remains that they genersally do not allow it. I work for several councils / Housing Associations and they are very particular. 3 plate wiring ONLY. Smacked botty if caught using your head and taking a neutral down to the switch.
That still does not mean that you cannot do it , just because some out of touch council clerk thinks you can't have a neutral in a light switch.

I agree that while you are working on their project, to their specification,you have to toe their line , but don't start thinking if the council say so then it must be right, they have their own agenda,s which are not necessarily connected to the real world.

A certain West Midlands council did not allow 3 plate wiring in their spec. concerned about the live feed at each ceiling rose. That did not make it a regulation . They were also doing their masionettes in steel conduit FFS. With meter tails in 35mm steel conduit.

Birmingham Council used to insist you earthed the metal capping on house bashing , is that a reg? Another Midlands council only accepts Part P certificates from NICEIC sparks, as I say , they have their own agenda, the rest of us inhabit the real world.