JTI shed supply?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTI sparks

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newly qualified spark and my grandfather has asked to install lighting and power in the shed.. The DB is miles away and old school with fuses rather than our beloved mcb's and the likes.. So instead of tearing through the house to put in an armoured cable and a small 4way DB in the shed I was wondering if it's acceptable to spur off the ring main with an IP rated (socket or other) and run a sy multi-flex steel wire braid cable to the shed (5 meters away) which I will bury.. And connect this to a double socket in the shed.. Is this acceptable..?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do a fused spur (13amp) off the ring, use an 2.5mm SWA to feed an RCD double socket in the shed. You would have to do another fused spur (3 amp)from that socket to feed a light.

spuring off the socket circuit is allowed but don't forget only 1 socket per spur unless fused.

You would need to use armoured for burrying, and also would need rcd protection and bonding.

Your cheapest option would be to install an RCD spur in the house, come out of this with an armoured into the shed for a couple of sockets with a switched fused spur to switch the lights. This means your maximum load will be 13A.

The ideal option is to take it back to the board, and install a new seperate consumer unit with an rcd and mcb.

Providing that you provide the required RCD protection, make sure bonding etc is up to scratch and that you install it correctly in accordance with the regulations. But why SY? Whats wrong with SWA?

Also, you do know that this work is notifiable under part P of the building regulations of which non conformance is punishable by law?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:04 ----------

spuring off the socket circuit is allowed but don't forget only 1 socket per spur unless fused.You would need to use armoured for burrying, and also would need rcd protection and bonding.

Your cheapest option would be to install an RCD spur in the house, come out of this with an armoured into the shed for a couple of sockets with a switched fused spur to switch the lights. This means your maximum load will be 13A.

The ideal option is to take it back to the board, and install a new seperate consumer unit with an rcd and mcb.
Dammit, too quick for his own good : :C

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'm a newly qualified spark and my grandfather has asked to install lighting and power in the shed.. The DB is miles away and old school with fuses rather than our beloved mcb's and the likes.. So instead of tearing through the house to put in an armoured cable and a small 4way DB in the shed I was wondering if it's acceptable to spur off the ring main with an IP rated (socket or other) and run a sy multi-flex steel wire braid cable to the shed (5 meters away) which I will bury.. And connect this to a double socket in the shed.. Is this acceptable..?
Welcome to the forum, isn't SWA cheaper than an equivalent CSA SY cable? How are you going to achieve compliance with Building Regulations Part P? I assume you are not a member of any contractor scheme yet as you say you are newly qualified.

Doc H.

I have moved this from the forum sponsors questions area.

Doc H.

Welcome to the forum, isn't SWA cheaper than an equivalent CSA SY cable? How are you going to achieve compliance with Building Regulations Part P? I assume you are not a member of any contractor scheme yet as you say you are newly qualified. Doc H.
Alright Doc,

I'm not yet registered with a contractor scheme, which is another topic up for discussion as some are saying NIC are slacking on certain points. So I was thinking of calling up building control and notifying/pre-notifying them of such work. Are there any other ways? I'm an Nvq spark waiting on 2391 for approved spark status in 2 months.. So as I understand I can't follow through with part p installations without notifying them which costs me a bit right???

SWA would be the preferred option..

I am looking at page 21 of Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations updated version to 17th edition. I am also reading item f on page 22 Detached Garages ansd Sheds.

f. Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring or a new circuit.

I would conclude that, as you are considering extending an existing circuit to the shed, it is non-notifiable and, therefore, does not require the involvement of Building Control at all. I would recommend you install an RCD spur next to an existing socket on the ring and extend that to the shed. 13A should be more than enough for a shed.

Nice one mate. Much appreciated.

Any recommendations on electrical governing bodies such as niceic etc..?

I am looking at page 21 of Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations updated version to 17th edition. I am also reading item f on page 22 Detached Garages ansd Sheds. f. Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring or a new circuit.

I would conclude that, as you are considering extending an existing circuit to the shed, it is non-notifiable and, therefore, does not require the involvement of Building Control at all. I would recommend you install an RCD spur next to an existing socket on the ring and extend that to the shed. 13A should be more than enough for a shed.
I would say that 5m of buried SWA to shed constituted new outdoor wiring

Wouldn't running a cable "outdoors" be classed as a new outdoor wiring although not a new circuit.? Therefore requiring building control?

Cheers 4 the help

What you need to do is look on the local council website there it will tell you what they charge to sign of your work.

Work WITHIN shed not notifiable, but new wiring TO them is

Yep, agreed. The SWA to the shed constitutes notifiable work. Sorry for the misinformation.

I am looking at page 21 of Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations updated version to 17th edition. I am also reading item f on page 22 Detached Garages ansd Sheds. f. Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring or a new circuit.

Sorry, UP, that is 100% wrong.

The new wiring across the garden from house to shed makes it notifiable. That it's coming off an existing circuit in the house is irrelevant.

Oh, nice to see you again.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was made at 18:02 ----------

No need to change the house board or install an RCD in the house. Buried swa does not require RCD protection. If you take a spur out of the back of the nearest socket (assuming the socket/circuit is suitable) into a weatherproof DPSwFCU, you can then take the swa to the shed. Use a small enclosure here to provide an RCD to feed shed socket(s). From the input side of the shed RCD supply another SwFCU with 3A fuse for light (as long as the wiring is surface, which I assume it would be in a shed.

Keep it simple.

Obviously, check the bonding and earthing in the house are up to snuff. But bear in mind if the bonding is 6mm there is not necessarily a need to replace it. Q12 here:

Alterations and additions in domestic and similar premises : Electrical Safety Council

As has been pointed by other members and I said on post 6, any new wiring to an outbuilding is notifiable under part P building regulations. Please also note that the OP suggested using an outdoor socket or similar as a point to terminate his outdoor cable. I shall try and summaries for the benefit of everyone. Outside lighting or similar equipment attached to the external wall is not notifiable providing all joints are inside the accessory concerned. Outdoor sockets attached to the house are notifiable. External wiring that leaves the wall of the house, i.e. crosses a garden is notifiable. This information can be found in Approved Document P which can be located at our downloads area or other websites.

Doc H.

Status
Not open for further replies.