Supply to shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Satisfy my curiosity please......

is 'twig' another of these hip names , similar to 'twin and skin'

also these 4' twigs....are they the ones that cannot be extended?

just voicing my bewilderment over the nomenclature

I believe "twig" is the colloquial term for a Citizen's Band radio aerial (or should that be antenna?). As in:

"You wanna get the swar down on that twig bruv!"

:tongue in cheek

got a twig on my car... doubt a 4ft earth rod would have the same effect

We got a 4' TWIG from Aldi a few years back with a root ball wrapped in a bag at the bottom.....

Banged it in the ground......

Seemed quite stable...  (didn't blow over in the wind)....

Last year got the first lot of Cherries off it!..

Twig turns out to be a Cherry Tree...

Its got bigger than 4' now though?

:popcorn

:shakehead

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Since when?

As I've said in,a different thread somewhere,

I have sub 1ohm readings on a "4' twig" as you call it, ok, so that's Ze, are you seriously sating that's going to suddenly jump up to over 500 ohms now after a few years of being installed,?'?!?! :shakehead

Wide sweeping misinformed statements are worse than no comments at all.!!!

What time of year, type of soil, quantity of moisture in the soil? Did you take readings at different times of the year to confirm the stability? Was that Ze definitely a product of just that earth electrode or were there any parallel paths involved? 

How did you determine that such a small electrode was suitable for the potential fault currents and leakage currents it may have to deal with throughout the installations lifespan? 

How are you quantifying the stability of the electrode? Personally I look at the percentage variation and make a judgement call based on that, but do have the advantage that on our factory and storage sites earth electrodes have to be tested once every 11 months and I have records for quite a few years to look at. 

Satisfy my curiosity please......

is 'twig' another of these hip names , similar to 'twin and skin'

also these 4' twigs....are they the ones that cannot be extended?

just voicing my bewilderment over the nomenclature

Twin and skin is hardly a hip name, it's a term that's been around for a long long time and isn't really relevant anymore. Strictly speaking twin and skin is two core insulated and sheathed cable which dates back to the times when the 'skin' would have been TRS or lead 

but anyway, the term 'twig' was coined by an engineer who is a member of a couple of other forums. The gentleman in question is somewhat of an expert on the subject of earthing 

Twin and skin is hardly a hip name, it's a term that's been around for a long long time and isn't really relevant anymore. Strictly speaking twin and skin is two core insulated and sheathed cable which dates back to the times when the 'skin' would have been TRS or lead 

but anyway, the term 'twig' was coined by an engineer who is a member of a couple of other forums. The gentleman in question is somewhat of an expert on the subject of earthing 

this guy?

:lol:

I'm interested in this variable 'stability' that's being bandied around. Is it a measurable quantity? What's its unit of measurement?

Does the fact that I have in the last twelve months completed a TT installation using only a single rod....sorry 'twig' mean I'm going straight to hell?

Oddly enough, I cant find the reg or guideline that prohibits the use of single rods/branches/twigs

Busy weekend here, thanks for the responses; would not like to comment on the TT twigs as ive worked with them only once about 20 years ago.

Anyhow regarding the shed supply

@Horace If you are worried about the shed then just disconnect it for your assessment and swap the SFCU for a blank plate. Re connect after assessment.

A good point but this is what I want to avoid as in my opinion the installation is safe; if the assessor picks up on the shed circuitry then I want to make sure its as up to regs as reasonably possible. The wiring in the shed is sufficiently protected by the sheds dp13a fcu and the lighting connectors are rated at 15a. As for the underground joint though, would a comment on the EIC suffice (or even be needed), note that  I will be filling in an EIC for the new cu, not for the wiring to the shed (as that was already there :B ).

If an EICR was being issued then obviously the underground joint would be mentioned, a code 3 perhaps? However does it require a mention on the EIC for the cu ?

I am not with a scam yet, and do not yet have the testing qual, hence these questions now. Thanks for your time its appreciated

If an EICR was being issued then obviously the underground joint would be mentioned, a code 3 perhaps? However does it require a mention on the EIC for the cu ?

I am not with a scam yet, and do not yet have the testing qual, hence these questions now. Thanks for your time its appreciated
You have said that this joint is under the patio, crimped and resin filled? if so it is a suitable and acceptable method and does not even require a mention.

Unless the cable type isn't of a type that is suitable for being buried without some form of additional protection...

Even then it might only be a FI on an EICR as "it's something that's not known"

You have said that this joint is under the patio, crimped and resin filled? if so it is a suitable and acceptable method and does not even require a mention.

Unless the cable type isn't of a type that is suitable for being buried without some form of additional protection...

Even then it might only be a FI on an EICR as "it's something that's not known"

Yes I see what you mean. So all in all its a good un.

Yes I see what you mean. So all in all its a good un.
Hardly, one of the main aspects of becoming registered is the understanding of the regulations and how they effect the way you install. We all had to learn at some point and for many of us we are still learning.

When I, and many members of this forum started out we had no instruction other than that in the work place, understanding of the regulations came slow and hard. Forums are a good source of information, but being told what to do does not teach you why.

I urge anyone to look up the regulations in order to fully understand what you are being told or instructed.

If we take your example for instance we have to think about A, the best way,B, the acceptable way, C a convenient way. Each should be judged on merit as complying with the regulations, not how it is installed in preference to any other. Just because I would do it one way, does not mean another is wrong. Your assessor will want to know why you have done it the way you did, if you can give a suitable answer he cannot condemn the way you have done it, he would have to acknowledge your understanding of the regulations and the way you have interpreted them to suit the install in question.Any hiccup in your understanding will demand further questions that may make you feel uncomfortable and show your lack of understanding.

That is why it is good to read the regulations when you do not fully understand a particular point. You do not need to memorise them just know where to find them when needed.

Hardly, one of the main aspects of becoming registered is the understanding of the regulations and how they effect the way you install. We all had to learn at some point and for many of us we are still learning.

When I, and many members of this forum started out we had no instruction other than that in the work place, understanding of the regulations came slow and hard. Forums are a good source of information, but being told what to do does not teach you why.

I urge anyone to look up the regulations in order to fully understand what you are being told or instructed.

If we take your example for instance we have to think about A, the best way,B, the acceptable way, C a convenient way. Each should be judged on merit as complying with the regulations, not how it is installed in preference to any other. Just because I would do it one way, does not mean another is wrong. Your assessor will want to know why you have done it the way you did, if you can give a suitable answer he cannot condemn the way you have done it, he would have to acknowledge your understanding of the regulations and the way you have interpreted them to suit the install in question.Any hiccup in your understanding will demand further questions that may make you feel uncomfortable and show your lack of understanding.

That is why it is good to read the regulations when you do not fully understand a particular point. You do not need to memorise them just know where to find them when needed.

Yes thanks for the reply Manator, all of my experience has been in the workplace where good practice set my personal standard. Obviously a knowledge of the BS7671 was/is required and expected. Extra responsibility requires a more in depth knowledge of the regs which is where im at now. Posts on forums are indeed a handy tool I hope you agree, but do not negate the imperative act of making an individual decision based on the the good word of the BYB. I hope you dont think im being lazy lol, Ive always asked alot of questions I cant help it  :facepalm:

Latest posts