Supply to shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in this variable 'stability' that's being bandied around. Is it a measurable quantity? What's its unit of measurement?

Does the fact that I have in the last twelve months completed a TT installation using only a single rod....sorry 'twig' mean I'm going straight to hell?

Oddly enough, I cant find the reg or guideline that prohibits the use of single rods/branches/twigs
You won't ....don't bother to look . 

Its a bit like supplies to garden sheds ...at a school , hospital or industrial premises , a sub-main to an adjacent building would be quite simple, just run a cable of the appropriate size but when its a garden shed it becomes fraught with difficulties and has to be converted to  TT  , involving rods & twigs.  

Oh come on deke me boy! Don't you know twigs and branches are often found in gardens but commercial sites frown upon them as a H&S hazard. 

Its just the world we live in today! 

Hardly, one of the main aspects of becoming registered is the understanding of the regulations and how they effect the way you install. We all had to learn at some point and for many of us we are still learning.

When I, and many members of this forum started out we had no instruction other than that in the work place, understanding of the regulations came slow and hard. Forums are a good source of information, but being told what to do does not teach you why.

I urge anyone to look up the regulations in order to fully understand what you are being told or instructed.

If we take your example for instance we have to think about A, the best way,B, the acceptable way, C a convenient way. Each should be judged on merit as complying with the regulations, not how it is installed in preference to any other. Just because I would do it one way, does not mean another is wrong. Your assessor will want to know why you have done it the way you did, if you can give a suitable answer he cannot condemn the way you have done it, he would have to acknowledge your understanding of the regulations and the way you have interpreted them to suit the install in question.Any hiccup in your understanding will demand further questions that may make you feel uncomfortable and show your lack of understanding.

That is why it is good to read the regulations when you do not fully understand a particular point. You do not need to memorise them just know where to find them when needed.
How true that is .   Some of these assessors , I feel, think that some of us are idiots because we don't know all the Regs off pat, including the numbers, as they seem to ....seeing as its all they have to think about and don't actually have to do the job. 

As Manator says , its knowing where to look that is important.      None of us bother about Fairgrounds or such as here in Birmingham not that many marinas and harbours to do .      As I said once before , the tide went out from here about 10 million years ago and never came back.

But if it did , I'd be turning to that section and working accordingly .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in this variable 'stability' that's being bandied around. Is it a measurable quantity? What's its unit of measurement?

Does the fact that I have in the last twelve months completed a TT installation using only a single rod....sorry 'twig' mean I'm going straight to hell?

Oddly enough, I cant find the reg or guideline that prohibits the use of single rods/branches/twigs

Stability is best expressed a percentage variation over time, 

conversely there will will also be no regulation specifically allowing a single rod to be used, but there is a requirement for reliability, stability and ability to safely handle any fault current.