Kitchen Electrical Install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryn

Reaction score
Been to look at A new kitchen install today small kitchen in a basement CU only 8mts away seperate CU for basement as preivious bedsit i think.

Need to get power to new kitchen and do not do too much domestic whay are you guys installing, conventional ring for sockets , dishwasher,fridge or what feedback/experience of these grid switches assume can run Radial to grid switch feed dishwasher,fridge etc from the frid switch but have no experience on them best type or stay clear any help appreciated.

The normal ring setup in some kitchens is fine however more and more are trying to do away with all those fused spurs that make any kitchen design look messy. I have fitted grid switches to control all the white appliances and it looks neater having everything in one position.

Or you could fit sockets inside the cupboard next to the appliance and do away with any switches at all.

Personally I prefer to install a radial, either 20A/2.5 or 32A/4 depending on kitchen size and likely number of appliances.

Radials are becoming more popular on socket circuits.. I think it's because of the DIY enthusiast making a mess of the ring finals when they fancy adding a socket here and there..

Just installed a 3 gang Crabtree grid for washer/tumble and freezer. Switches marked with appliance name. Looks neat as it's the equivalent of one 2 gang socket instead of three separate FCUs.

Like Badger i'm old school when it comes to kitchens. I'll usually put a ring in and possibly a radial depending on what appliances are likely to be installed. Don't really like to have dishwasher, washing machine and drier all on one ring so if the kitchen incorporates all of those i'll split them up.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but could someone please post a link to one of these grid switches. I'm old school (or just old), but always looking for better/easier ways of doing things.

Many thanks

Thanks Couleddie

Would you normally run a dedicated radial to one of these then star out to the various devices within the switch itself?