Laurence Scott and Electromotors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good Tony ...took me back to the late 50's   early 60's   probably 60's because of the colour film . 

That era has gone now I'm afraid ...all those lads getting jobs , probably school leavers at 15  too.

Everyone who left school at the same time as me , also at 15 , went straight into a job ,no messing,   ( I'd never heard of anyone who didn't have a job then)    a huge percentage into local engineering  firms  like  Bill Switchgear ...George Ellison ... MEM ... GEC .... Tufnol... Crabtree... Tenby... Hardy Spicer ...Cincinatti Machine Tools ...Tube Investments... Austin Rover.... Land Rover... Triumph motors ...Brook Motors... Rootes Group Motors  ( Sunbeam etc)  ....Metro-Camell ....Kynoch ( ICI) (IMI) .... BSA..... Vellocette  ...   Fort Dunlop.....  British Steel ..it goes on and on  .................

.....and this is the bit I don't understand..multiply those firms by a thousand  and this area didn't just hum , it roared with industry , if it was made from metal then it was made here ,     we now have a higher population ........thousands of immigrants .... and every August the schools disgorge thousands of leavers ....where do they go to work ,  because all those firms have gone (except Land Rover)  ................I really don't get it :C

Oh and then this government comes up with  " We've had a wonderful idea.....apprenticships "    ......do me a bloody favour !!!

Very good Tony ...took me back to the late 50's   early 60's   probably 60's because of the colour film . 

That era has gone now I'm afraid ...all those lads getting jobs , probably school leavers at 15  too.

Everyone who left school at the same time as me , also at 15 , went straight into a job ,no messing,   ( I'd never heard of anyone who didn't have a job then)    a huge percentage into local engineering  firms  like  Bill Switchgear ...George Ellison ... MEM ... GEC .... Tufnol... Crabtree... Tenby... Hardy Spicer ...Cincinatti Machine Tools ...Tube Investments... Austin Rover.... Land Rover... Triumph motors ...Brook Motors... Rootes Group Motors  ( Sunbeam etc)  ....Metro-Camell ....Kynoch ( ICI) (IMI) .... BSA..... Vellocette  ...   Fort Dunlop.....  British Steel ..it goes on and on  .................

.....and this is the bit I don't understand..multiply those firms by a thousand  and this area didn't just hum , it roared with industry , if it was made from metal then it was made here ,     we now have a higher population ........thousands of immigrants .... and every August the schools disgorge thousands of leavers ....where do they go to work ,  because all those firms have gone (except Land Rover)  ................I really don't get it :C

Oh and then this government comes up with  " We've had a wonderful idea.....apprenticships "    ......do me a bloody favour !!!
We have one of their guillotines . It's ancient.

Laurence Scott used a lot of equipment from other manufactures. In the 60’s it would be Square D and MCS (Manchester Contactor & Switchgear). Later Harvey Hubbell was used in the Centaur MCC’s.

Two of our cranes had open frame LSE panels. Live testing could get a bit dicey as the crane lurched about.

Over the years I’ve installed 13 LSE Centaur MCC’s, it was good kit but not a patch on the earlier 1960’s stuff. In total we had 23 LSE MCC’s which is possibly the reason I like them.