Led Dimmers - Need To Replace Dimmer Switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RL19

Reaction score
Hi All

I have replaced the bulbs in our kitchen halogen spots with LED bulbs (6 overhead spots). What I didn't realise was that the existing dimmer switch will  no longer dim as the power draw from the LEDs is so much lower.

It seems like I have 2 options (1) to replace the double dimmer switch with an LED compatible dimmer switch cost c. £40 or (2) replace the dimmer switch module in the existing dimmer cost c. £12 (or £24 if I need 2 as the switch is a double dimmer for 2 sets of lights?)

Question: how hard is it to replace a dimmer switch module? Do I need 2 for a double dimmer? If I have to get an electrician to do this I suspect it will be cheaper just to replace the dimmer switch for £40. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for help

Hi Steve - sorry should have mentioned this - yes I specifically got dimmable led bulbs

Normally just a little nut holding the module in place, so pull the knob off and undo the nut.

Before disconnection take a photo of how its terminated and mark the conductors, replace like for like.

Also don't forget to turn off the supply first.

ok thanks I was looking at the dimmer switch modules from varilight - can't work out how to post a link here but are these the sort of thing you need and do I need 2 for a double dimmer?

Cheers