Level 2 in electrical installation diapolma

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt34

Reaction score
Has anyone recently done this course do you learn alot on it? I am a plumber gas engineer how would like to try get in to the electrical trade too. I already have abit of electrical knowledge from working in the trades/ my nvq level 3 electrical section on my plumbing apprenticeship. Thanks

Hi question, after the level 3 is there a time limit to complete the am2 and nvq?

Thanks. Does the level 2 give good knowledge or is it really basic stuff? I have already picked abit up with working in the plumbing and heating industry. Thanks

Thanks. Does the level 2 give good knowledge or is it really basic stuff? I have already picked abit up with working in the plumbing and heating industry. Thanks
What did you learn in your plumbing level 2?
It is the beginning of learning grade so don’t expect to gain all knowledge.

Ah sorry what amount a rough idea for the level 3 diapolma?
Between 2000/3500 depending on wether you do home study or class room study, also duration of course will be dependant on which option you take 1 year to 18 months roughly

Just make sure that whatever you are taking are ratified by the institute of "City and Guilds" otherwise worthless.

It is city and guilds it seems quite a basic course though the level 2 diapolma in electrical installation. And more for people with no experience at all in the building trades. I already have quiet abit of electrical knowledge from the electrical section in my nvq level 3 in plumbing and from working in the trades.

But your plumbing qualification will not apply to you getting electrically qualified so your choices are;

Do all the relevant Electrical qualifications and qualify as a bonafide electrician or stay as you are??
The plumbtrician does not exist in a qualification, it is urban slang for those that are multi qualified in plumbing and electrics.
😂

It is city and guilds it seems quite a basic course though the level 2 diapolma in electrical installation. And more for people with no experience at all in the building trades. I already have quiet abit of electrical knowledge from the electrical section in my nvq level 3 in plumbing and from working in the trades.

As Sharpend suggests, although you may have some reasonable experience and limited related qualifications. If you want to be fully qualified for all aspects of electrical work, you will need to do the same full course content as others who are fully electrically qualified...

While there will be an element of overlap from what you already know. Until you have done the full course and passed the examinations, you will not know which bits were not covered on the plumbing related electrical work..

To look at it from the other side of the coin...

I am fully qualified for my electrical work..
and as I know how to solder cables I can also solder copper pipes..
I can join a few bits of pipe together, (solder, compression, push-fit), 15mm or 22mm...
I know how to connect up heating valves for S-plan, Y-plan, replace heating pumps..
Install showers.. replace taps, ball-valves,
Remove, replace and bleed radiators,
Disconnect & replace a toilet, bath, sink, shower tray etc..

So can you tell me a short cheap City & Guilds course, so that I can call myself a qualified plumber?
without spending too much time or money as I already know the basics?

After all.... if I get it wrong it's only a bit of water leaking where it shouldn't..
It's not like it can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second like that invisible electricity can?

I think you have got to either bite-the-bullet, (AKA take-the-bull-by-the-horns),
and take the proper courses in the correct sequence..
or change your objectives and plans.

🍻

I done the level 2 & level 3 & although you'd think you'll only learn the basics on the level 2 you will be quite surprised when you're cutting in to cable tray, steel conduit, trunking etc making different sets etc terminating SWA learning & making off MICC cable as well, not as easy as you think when first starting.

Not saying it's hard but would think level 1 would match the basics criteria.

You'll learn 1 way switching, 2 way switching, intermediate, working with singles, different methods of wiring, testing ( my advice buy your own tester and take that in as there are never enough to go around.

Then within your level 2 you'll learn science & principles too.

There used to be shorter routes in to the industry but not no more.

Best of luck

Thanks so you still think in my situation I should learn quiet alot in the level 2?
Matt , i believe both level 2 and 3 cg 2365 are minimum requirements , as is level 3 nvq , 18th 7671 and am2 to be a qualified jib recognised electrician , this is the path i am on and believe me i spent a lot of time and effort to trying to find this out a couple of years ago , there is no short cut mate , as it is a completely different trade and rightly so.
If you really want to become a spark get on level 2 now , as this is enrolment time and enjoy , if i can do it and i am 60 in november then you can too

Latest posts