Level 2 in electrical installation diapolma

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes mate , had to , and level 3 , evenings at night college, i am starting nvq next month and shall be doing 18th also , which leaves am2

Mate, what you learn in level 2 leads directly to level 3 , hand in glove!! You cannot design multiple new supplies and circuits as is a requirement unit in level 3 without what you learn in level 2 , im from a joinery background and like you can handle tools and do the practical elements , but this is useless if you dont learn the science and maths to enable you to install correct , safe and compliant systems , believe it or not , its not as simple as a ring final circuit needs a 32a cb!!

Thanks. Does the level 2 give good knowledge or is it really basic stuff? I have already picked abit up with working in the plumbing and heating industry. Thanks

Hello matt34, welcome to the forum. I have no idea of what experience or knowledge you have already attained, or what you consider basic stuff? But the forum is littered with posts from too many members who have spent too much of their personal hard-earned savings, trying to skip a few rungs on the ladder on worthless courses, that do not advance their career prospects into the electrical industry.

Do you have a copy of BS7671, and are you familiar with the various chapters in the current issue, (600+ pages), and the types of electrical certificates required to record your test results to confirm that your alterations comply with current regulations? (Are you also aware of any Part P building regulations requirements in your area? {Which are different in England / Scotland / Wales!! which is crazy, but someone in authority thought it made some sense?}).

I am not sure what you mean by basic? But I would consider some fundamental ground rules to include basics such as: establishing what load you need to supply. Then consider what cable size is needed to supply that load, taking into account all relevant installation methods, correction factors etc. And ensuring you have a suitable protective device to meet the required disconnection times, taking into account the earthing arrangements and any additional requirements due to special locations etc, so that you can be sure your alteration will not endanger any people, property or livestock.

'Basics' are ensuring every alteration will "fail-safe" in the event of a fault. Whereas it is too often apparent that some people consider 'basics' are just making something work. Anyone can make a socket work, [and some actually think that all sockets must be on a 2.5mm ring]. But a socket will work with reverse polarity, no earth, no RCD protection, incorrect cable size, incorrect overload protection, and in the event of a fault could seriously injure or kill a member of your family or start a fire that destroys your home!

If you are reasonably confident that you do have a good grasp of the basics, understand cable calculations, inspection & testing and you know how to find your way around BS7671 to list/refer to any relevant regulations needed to pass a C&G exam. Then I would see if you can find somewhere that you can just go and sit exams without attending a full course. (I am not sure if this is still feasible? But it used to be). If not, personally I would consider a local college if available, rather than on-line virtual classroom.

I am not sure if that is what you were hoping to hear.. But you must remember the old saying: "There is NO such thing as a free lunch". Or my paraphrase: "Most things worth attaining involve some graft, time, commitment. and are NOT an easy hand-out!"

You don't actually say if you are employed or self-employed? But I hope that helps your considerations of what to do next?

Doc H.

Last edited:
Is the level 3 diapolma mostly theory. I can do the level 2 can a local college on an evening. Nobody offers the level 3 so I may have to do that via distant learning.

Is the level 3 diapolma mostly theory. I can do the level 2 can a local college on an evening. Nobody offers the level 3 so I may have to do that via distant learning.
Matt, level 3 involves verification , inspection , testing and fault finding which are practical units and cannot be assesed without being at a college equiped with test/fault rigs and testers, if you are serious get on level 2 cg 2365 now then worry about level 3 later mate

Latest posts