Lifespan Led Driver Generic

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, full facts,

wife got a 'new' car about august last year,

09 vauxhall zafira, came with 'a years warranty' ,

garage we bought it from has failed it on MOT due to the high level brake light not working, an LED driver failure apparently, BTW, Ive not noticed this before, even though I was able to tell the wife last weekend her normal brakelight wasnt working, but I didnt notice the hi level one was out.! :|

cost = 88£  OK, not a fortune, but its a principle, what TF is our years warranty for?!

1  I feel that a driver failing after this time is defective and not our problem to replace, faulty goods and all that.

2  does it really have to work? Im of the opinion that if I remove the light then its not needed so nothing to do with the MOT

As a side note............jcc led fittings, make sure you register them on line when you fit them (in customers name) you then get 5 years warranty on the fittings not just the standard 1 year. Did it today on six 600x600 units.

I was a mot tester and if the high level brake light is fitted it has to work.

Same as head lamps. But you couldn't fail a car if they were removed.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must be fitted with two obligatory stop lamps.Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.
From the MOT testers manual.

Many years ago a guy that I worked with had a Chevette, he decided to fill an auxillary switch hole with a hazard warning light switch (it wasn't wired up) and it failed the MOT because the hazards didn't work!!!

He ended up having to wire them up!

I was a mot tester and if the high level brake light is fitted it has to work.

Same as head lamps. But you couldn't fail a car if they were removed.

My mate just texted me back. He says its not necessarily a failure . The tester has to have proof it was working. Hes out, maybe in the pub so i decipher that to mean if you take it out, its not a fail. 

From the MOT testers manual.
thanks, both of you,

Slips, that is what i got from a quick google,

so, when i go there tomorrow to argue the bit out that if they fail the wifes car because of a high level light NOT working [even though the car is still under warranty] I was going to fire back that it has never worked since we bought the car and therefore I just assumed it had never been connected,

otherwise they should never have sold the car to us in that state.

would that work??????

rang the MOT place up this morning,

the inspector was a bit lost when I quoted the extract slips gave me, :D   thanks.

he advised me to go and speak to the general manager at the sales room, which I have done below,

only, the manager wasnt there when I got back from work, [forewarned perhaps?], but, I did get the guy that actually sold us the car, bought last June.

warranty?!?!?!?!

apparently it only covers moving parts FFS, so I said, well it moves when the boot is opened!

anyway, just got back from work so called in to speak to the garage that sold it to us, same firm, different department,

basically said that if it is now an MOT failure its not roadworthy, and as the light never worked when we bought the car they sold us an unroadworthy car, which was, unfit for purpose, therefore they broke the law,

they are going to ring me on monday...

have made it quite clear that I will go to trading standards.