Light Fitting Blowing Bulbs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ1109

Reaction score
Hi,
Customer complaining that bulbs are blowing. Fitting is a 3 x spot with 60w R63 spots.
Tells me he was having problems previously so got the fitting changed and apparently has only had 3-6 mths use.
Fitting is only a cheap plastic type. As this fitting has recently blown 2 bulbs he asked me to look at the wiring.
Checked out today and light is linked to a 5ft floro at other end of kitchen on same switch . Checked cable,connections,checked voltage, all fine,Lamp holders in spot fitting all look to be fine.
He replaced the fitting with 3 lamps this afternoon. Switched light on tonight and 2 lamps blew so has phoned to tell me
Throw fitting and get sumat decent or wot? Anybody else had issues with fittings blowing lamps.I'd told him not to use about cheap lamps.
Couldn't be anything to do with the capicitor on the flouro could it?

Thanks

This is like my thread from yesterday. Just what magic wand are we supposed to wave to stop lamps blowing?  

Ah it's the old "power surge fairy" again.

My advice?  the florry is happy, throw away the splotlights and get another florry.

Had the same 3 weeks ago .......six oldish downlights in a kitchen  ..R63 lamps ES   always blowing .

Also the ES lampholders are suffering from heat damage  but  very large holes in ceiling for these fittings,   nothing modern will fit . 

So end up buying 6 old stock smaller R63 fittings with identical lampholder units ,   fit them into the old fittings , fit 6 LED lamps, throw new fittings away.

Job done.  

Latest posts