Lighting Fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50 x No Provision For Earth Labels, Labels for BS7671---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was made at 11:33 ----------

Wiring in singles is quite common down here as is using the spider wiring method too.
Yes the RB4 method or spider was commonly used and still is,nothing DIY about it, the fact that it will have to be a spidered line and looped neutral affair would be DIY ish LOL.

Yes the RB4 method or spider was commonly used and still is,nothing DIY about it, the fact that it will have to be a spidered line and looped neutral affair would be DIY ish LOL.
I'm sorry but you continue to talk nonsense.

Nobody, not even a DIYer would loop the neutral and spider the live from a junction box.

The live will be looped at the switches.

If you continue to pursue your nonsense about it being switched neutral, please explain how there are several neutrals at the light fitting? there would only be one if it was a switched neutral.

I'm sorry but you continue to talk nonsense.Nobody, not even a DIYer would loop the neutral and spider the live from a junction box.

The live will be looped at the switches.

If you continue to pursue your nonsense about it being switched neutral, please explain how there are several neutrals at the light fitting? there would only be one if it was a switched neutral.
I wouldn't call it nonsense Dave, a possibility based on a permanent live.

If indeed the live is permanent, as the op has stated, then the neutral is switched.

So you explain to me how if the lamp has a permanent live, how else can it be switched other than through the neutral?

The op describes himself as a Electrician, id expect him to whether the live is being switched or not.

And as i said, im not disagreeing with you or anyone else, just a possibility based on the provided information.

You may well be right, i may well be wrong, i don't really care, but if the op is correct and the line is permanent, then its neutral switched. Its an alternative possibility, and if you think that's the worst a diyer is possible of, i would disagree lol

Thanks Guys you were all right one way or another, on further investigation I found one neutral wire out in the loft. The owner did not mention he had been up there putting in some extra insulation and had pulled this out without knowing. I also discoverd that it was a swithched live to each light looped at each switch fed by a single red with earth atached and someone had put up 2 Ikea lights in the kitchen and cut back the earth on the only two metal fittings in the bungalow and one of these had a faulty lamphold. I replaced the neutral changed the metal fittings for standard pendants a quick test and all Ok.

The neutrals were spider web to all the lights. and the live looped through all the switches with sw/live up to each light.

Thanks Again

Chas

Latest posts