Lighting in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have viewed the inside of the garage. I really believe florescent tubes would be more suitable. The lights need to go sideways on the innerside of the joists. I think LED are just too fancy for temp lighting.

I have lights fitted like that in my garage due to low roof height, it creates a lot of shadows. You would be better off with more small lights in those circumstances, or perhaps even LED strip along bootm edge of joists

I suppose the other option, is just two battern bulb holders.... or just have them both on the centre joists one on each side... or two small tube inbetween the joists (which means fixing some new smaller timber...

The other simple option would be have one bulb on a joist near the back, the diagonal battern type. And just leave it for whoever buys it next. It is a standalone garage, and not with any house. If it has power they sell easier. This is the only reason I am connecting it. One bulb would light it, as it is only similar to one room?

Or othe option is just to fix new timber.. would a double 5ft florescent work, in the centre? Across the centre length of the garage? I think there maybe nore than 5ft inbetween the centre joints...

Yes, I have decided to put two 5ft up. It is dry inside, and fluorescents can start in sub zero (so I read). I have opted for flourescents as they are a tried and tested method. Just took a while figuring it out. There is room as the joists are pretty deep. I need to put up two metal cable runners with brackets at each end (inbetween the joists), nut and bolt the lights to the runners...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing with lighting a garage  is  not to fix one above where the car is  , as it just lights up the roof .    One each side or one each end  , beware of the up 'n over door. 

I never knew garage lighting could be so complicated? 20+ posts and nearly a month later jobs still not done?  Amazing.

Doc H.

Still waiting for power network to connect it 🙂 it isn't a part of any house. As mentioned, I want to sell it in three years... so power is a bonus!

Latest posts