lights flickering

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searley

Reaction score
had somebody on the phone saying every so often there light`s dip and flicker then come back on to normal.he says there is nothing wrong with the meter where the tails come in and nothing wrong with the db and he has not fitted or changed ant lights.

any ideas.

If he 'knows' theres nothing wrong with the DB then surely he should be able to locate the fault himself.

I'd check for lose connections, give everything a wiggle.

Has he checked if neighbours have noticed similer? need to check with at least 2 each side as may be supply fault effecting only 1 phase, every 3rd house. If they have then report to DNO emergency fault number.

Is it over head supply? could be on pole or drop cable to house.

If none of above then inspect CU main switch for loose connections.

Take good look at cut-out and Meter connections, any signs of heat damage, "fishy" smells?

Sometimes just supply ups and downs, auto resets on supply can give short

break in supply almost instant back on.

Happy hunting

i told him to check the cables and the screws were tight and he said he had done that but it was still happening.he said it looked like something was drawing power out of the house and the power was being turned back up.

he says he get`s a Lott of bulbs blowing but the problem is with the down stairs lights and the up stairs lights.

May be copper Bandits down at the sub station!

Is he in Bolton?

he has asked the neighbor next door he says his is alright.the person i no lives at the end of a row of three houses.the supply is tnc-s and he says it comes from under the ground up to the meter.

i have told him to ring the supply company to check what he is getting at the supply to his meter.

Any digging being going on near by in road path etc?

How about fishy smell? classic sign of cut-out fault.

Sounds like the same type of symptom you get when a large load ie shower is switched on, that can sometimes make the lights dip.....i have also had the same problem when a customer was using his welder down the shed ;)

Latest posts