living room light replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is a 2 way then possibly all reds together in a single connector, and the light wired live to single black and neutral to the other blacks, it's possible that there is a 2 core between the switches and picking up a common live from either end. Many years ago this was fairly common practice on landing lights. 

all reds together in a single connector

Nope. Definitely not this, look at the pics, there are the reds in the 2 twins already in connectors, looped lives that just happen to be there with the neutral and CPC. The other reds are the switched live and looped switched live to the other fitting. All reds in a single connector would cause no end of issues.

it's possible that there is a 2 core between the switches

Again, take a look at the pics, this is what is shown.

well that just got more entertaining, and an even higher chance of a borrowed neutral
Except in this case it's a borrowed Live.

It has a perfectly good L and N available at the light, but it has instead taken it's L from the landing light switch which may or may not be on the same circuit.

Connecting both available reds, available neutral and earth to the light didnt change anything either! 

Did you say there are two light fittings in the lounge that should come on simultaneously when either lounge switch is on.  Is the stairs light (presume you mean landing light), still working ok from the one half of the lounge switch, and its other stairs switch, while this lounge light is not connected.?

Doc H.

Yes, two light fittings should come on when either light switch pressed. Landing light works fine currently, this is operated by the double switch by the front door - left switch for the landing works fine, right switch which is for the living room does nothing. 

How many lighting circuits are there in the fusebox?

Did you put those connector blocks on the reds and blacks in the first picture? Are they the ones you are sure of?

The single red wire in a cable (with earth wire), is it twin and earth with the black wire cut back?

Just to recap, from left to right on the pic in the OP;

black = neutral to other light

red = loop to other light

green/yellow = earth to other light

single red = switch live from switch

red x2 in wago = permanent live in & out from lighting loop

black x2 in wago = neutral in & out from lighting loop

green/yellow x3 on base = earth in/out from lighting loop and switch

So;

All blacks together = neutral

All green/yellows together = earth

2 reds in wago = leave as they are

2 unconnected reds = switched live

i think its at the point he should be getting someone in. he's has plenty advice, some has been ignored, he seems to have no idea how to test anything or own anything to test with, now randomly connecting wires and its still not working. a sparky could have identified the wiring and got it working in 20-30 mins

1.   It needs a test meter / continuity tester to clearly identify which wires are the switch wires...

2.  It is possible that some of the Red/Blacks could be the strappers between the switches passing though the light rather than a 'L'/'N' feed in/out between lights...

3. It "MAY" be like this?    but then it also may not????

Lounge lights.jpg

4: Needs a competent person and about 30mins to suss out exactly what's what!!!

Guinness  

5..   Maybe..Split the wires in the Wago's and see if other lights around the house stop working could indicate it they are L/N feeds in & out rather than strappers?

OP said there was only a single twin & earth in the other fitting though.

Been so busy, not had a chance to put any of this into practice! So after trying tonight, success!!! From the original picture, all blacks together onto neutral on light, earths together then onto light, and the two spare reds together onto live on the light. All works absolutely fine. I wanted to thank everyone who contributed, and you have all saved me £££'s, so much appreciated! If anyone is passing Cheltenham, drop in and drinks on me! :)  

Been so busy, not had a chance to put any of this into practice! So after trying tonight, success!!! From the original picture, all blacks together onto neutral on light, earths together then onto light, and the two spare reds together onto live on the light. All works absolutely fine. I wanted to thank everyone who contributed, and you have all saved me £££'s, so much appreciated! If anyone is passing Cheltenham, drop in and drinks on me! :)  

Thank you for giving an update, But now you have mentioned drinks on you I fear some members are booking cheap tickets on the MegaBus, so you could have a big bar bill at the weekend.

Doc H. 

Latest posts