Lock out kits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISSWWW

Reaction score
Can i ask what you guys are doing about MCB Lock out kits:C

Is it a regulation,recommendation,law:C

Do you use any other lock outs, non MCB type:C

Would a training DVD be of any value? (it would be chargeable) :C

for domestic use, there is almost no need for lockouts.

i keep 2x MCB locks in my toolbag. one is the small type fits on MCB toggle with small driver. other is a larger thumbturn type. fits isolators a bit better.

a few places i work at have a hasp type lock on the DB cupboards, so i lock the cupboard with one of my locks instead whilst work is being done. easier than locking individual MCB's

i dont even bother with lock out kits, i just wip the front of the fuse board off remove live conductor from mcb or fuse and refit lid to fuseboard, job done, in domestic though i tend to put tape over the trip if working alone or with only limited trades or not many people in house, but if i think it warrants the live being removed on doemstic then i will assess that at point of working.

Carry a full lock out kit on the van, I have 5 or 6 locks, several types of mcb lock tags and multi hasps, tags, cable ties, pen, all in a girlie red bum bag!

I tend to leave it in the van, it just comes in handy to keep things together.

Comes down to the areas in which you work, I may have to lock out in a completely different building to that I am working in.

I did not design the installs, I probably would not run final circuits into another building, prob run a sub & put a board in there but there we are, it's what I have to work with.

Hence why I have lock outs.

Also it is a stipluation of some of my customers, if I am not in control of the means of isolation, that is I cannot see it from my workplace it has to be full LOTO.

I don't have a problem with this as its me that would get fried if some numpty re-energised.

BTW MM, my LOTO kits came from my local Ed branch a while back!

I got a Lockout kit for free at the end of my 3rd year from SECTT and so did all other colleges as far as i know. came with 4 different devices for various MCB's a padlock and a warning notice that attatched to the padlock...... and it came in one of those girly red bum bags with SECCT logo etc on it. Never used it to this day but is very handy to have.

I have various individual lockouts (got some fee from mcb manufacturers & purchased others) & they only get used on the commercial/industrial boards.

I've got the little brass dolly lock which you tighten the screw to lock mcb then the padlock stops you from getting screwdriver in to undo screw. Keep one on me just incase idiots working in properties with me, which is very rare and tbh i've only used it once for assessment.