Lockable fan isolators

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my eyes! ;)

We had considered similar, but with the material that these switches are made of, I doubt that it will be an option, the phenolic resin is just too brittle, it might work if we strip the switch, and reverse the rocker, or drill it in a pillar drill outside the switch if the actuator is asymmetric, but, having looked at one, we didn't think that it would be an easy option.

I don't believe that a drill bit in a pistol drill would do it suitably.

Mind it might be a last resort, I am just amazed that there is nothing like a 3 pole EM test switch.

Which would be perfect.

What about a 2 gang key switch face plate. One switch DP the other is SP. Not great, it would have to be labelled up accordingly.

What about a 2 gang key switch face plate. One switch DP the other is SP. Not great, it would have to be labelled up accordingly.

That's where we are at the moment rapp, I was just hoping that there must be something more elegant out there, & I hoped that the forumites might have come across it.

We can take the existing fan iso out and fit 2 DP key switches or 1 dp & 2 dp in the same opening, it's available as a last resort, but I was really hoping for something much more elegant, and neat, I am just amazed that there is nothing out there.

That's where we are at the moment rapp, I was just hoping that there must be something more elegant out there, & I hoped that the forumites might have come across it.

We can take the existing fan iso out and fit 2 DP key switches or 1 dp & 2 dp in the same opening, it's available as a last resort, but I was really hoping for something much more elegant, and neat, I am just amazed that there is nothing out there.
I'd also be afraid of someone in the future half isolating the fan and seeing the fan stopped and getting a shock from it if they were replacing it etc. I'd sooner have the SP key switch pull in a contactor isolating the three poles at once.

I'd also be afraid of someone in the future half isolating the fan and seeing the fan stopped and getting a shock from it if they were replacing it etc. I'd sooner have the SP key switch pull in a contactor isolating the three poles at once.

I agree rapp, hence my reluctance.

A contactor is going to be a pain, but, might be a last resort.

I am just amazed that there isn't a 3 pole key switch like a 2 pole em light test switch.

What about an inline socket/plug covered by a labelled blank plate. The isolator is only for maintenance not emergency.

put a small enclosure over it so you need to remove the lid to get at it?

We are going to measure up for this the next time we are on site, it's a bit of a last resort as it will look rubbish due to the layout of the cabin, and we'll have to cut the back out of the box, possibly, going on experience with these units, the wiring will be guitar string tight, hence looking for a like for like solution.

ah

not quite thye type of keyswitch you were thinking of,

but I was rummaging through a box of stuff this evening and came across something like this , might be a possible solution,

that was just the first one that came up on the popular search engine,

looking for a like for like solution.
b1ef3b24e7ad3efbf0e39ba01596354d_good-luck-with-that-meme-good-luck_500-333.jpeg.b06d9732ddd49cbd55a1bd3607c46712.jpeg

ah

not quite thye type of keyswitch you were thinking of,

but I was rummaging through a box of stuff this evening and came across something like this , might be a possible solution,

that was just the first one that came up on the popular search engine,
That's too industrial for him. I can't believe I've spent/wasted an hour looking for something to do him 😂

b1ef3b24e7ad3efbf0e39ba01596354d_good-luck-with-that-meme-good-luck_500-333.jpeg.b06d9732ddd49cbd55a1bd3607c46712.jpeg

That's too industrial for him. I can't believe I've spent/wasted an hour looking for something to do him 😂
:slap

bloody hell,

I thought something along those lines would look quite good, just drill a hole in a blank plate,

the one I have is actually mounted in a metal clad face plate, I think it came off a door over ride or roller shutter, or something like that,

Not sure I can quote two of you, I normally mess it up.

I do appreciate the ideas, I am just amazed that what I describe as a 3 pole em light test switch is not available.

We had gone down the key switch route, with a Schneider key actuator (Think Ronis 455), and 3 NO contacts, but, you can't fit 3 side by side, only two, the middle aspect is for button illumination, and will not actuate a contact block, so it needs to be two stacked which will need a box about 80-100 mm deep, that's a deep box for a one gang plate.

I have a couple of those rotary cam switches kicking around, they are just so deep, the same as the normal push button contact option.

The last thought we had when rummaging around the workshop stores earlier, was a Schneider box with the contact blocks mounted on a rail at the back of the box.

Such as the ZENL, which I think I can put 3 side by side, and get a 2 position stay put key remove in two positions key actuator, these would fit in a standard single PB box I believe.

I am simply flabbergasted that the perfect device does not exist, and I think that there is a market for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We had gone down the key switch route, with a Schneider key actuator (Think Ronis 455), and 3 NO contacts, but, you can't fit 3 side by side, only two, the middle aspect is for button illumination, and will not actuate a contact block, so it needs to be two stacked which will need a box about 80-100 mm deep, that's a deep box for a one gang plate.

iirc the eaton m22 keyswitch can work 3 contact blocks. ill have a look tomorrow if you want?

In the past I have fitted standard fan isolator

put 'biscuit' spacer on the front, 10mm deep by Nexus, fit blank plate on top

fasten it back with torx  or similar screws if security is a big issue

simples

theres an idea,

I take it by biscuit you mean those things that allow you to fit a dimmer on a 16mm backbox?

if you need some 3.5mm torx i can send you some, I have some left from a job I was on last year, the foreman reckoned they were about £50 a box,  :eek:

In the past I have fitted standard fan isolator

put 'biscuit' spacer on the front, 10mm deep by Nexus, fit blank plate on top

fasten it back with torx  or similar screws if security is a big issue

simples

Not thought of that have all of that on stock bar the M3.5 Torx screws, but, that would not be an issue tbh, it's just not turn offable with the cover fitted, so great.

I had just ordered:

Schneider ZENL1111, ZB5 AG4, XALD01 to try, it's going to be the nearest thing I can get I think.

theres an idea,

I take it by biscuit you mean those things that allow you to fit a dimmer on a 16mm backbox?

if you need some 3.5mm torx i can send you some, I have some left from a job I was on last year, the foreman reckoned they were about £50 a box,  :eek:
Yep....they are the ones!

F handy....always have a few doubles and singles in the van 'just in case'

Not thought of that have all of that on stock bar the M3.5 Torx screws, but, that would not be an issue tbh, it's just not turn offable with the cover fitted, so great.

I had just ordered:

Schneider ZENL1111, ZB5 AG4, XALD01 to try, it's going to be the nearest thing I can get I think.

just a thought, whats the contact separation on them?

iirc the eaton m22 keyswitch can work 3 contact blocks. ill have a look tomorrow if you want?

Thanks Andy, no-one around here keeps Eaton, I normally use Schneider as they are kept locally in stock, so makes it easier, & RS have them so for breakdowns I can mix & match from stock/RS to get the customer running, then replace from local stock as needed.

I have just ordered some Schnieder kit to try from RS, if it doesn't work I can send it back, and if the client says it's too expensive, I'll loose the re-stocking charge and return carriage somewhere on the job.

just a thought, whats the contact separation on them?

Dunno, I hadn't thought of that!

6 Cans and a massive cold is not good for you!

Just, off to check...

Last edited by a moderator: