Lost Certificates - Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Richardson

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!

I am about to return to the electrical contracting industry after many years in management.

I originally took my City & Guilds Electrical Installations and Technology Course 236 parts 1 & 2 at Lincoln College of Technology around 1980.

I was an indentured apprentice with the J.I.B and passed my courses with credits.

I have lost my certificates and need to get copies. I can prove I started an indentured course as I have my original papers. However apparently the J.I.B do not keep records, and I have been charged £88 (2 applications at £44 each ) by the City and Guilds Archives to be told they do not have copies either.

The course was jointly run by City and Guilds and E.M.E.U (East Midlands Education Union) in Lincolnshire. This course provider no longer exists and I am running out of ideas???

I can't believe that neither the J.I.B not City and Guilds do not keep copies.

Has anyone got any more ideas I can try or even have a contact within the two above companies that could help shed any light on where I might obtain copies. Job progression depends on my getting copies of my certificates.

Fingers crossed in anticipation.

Many thanks fellow Sparkies.

I concur, City and Guilds have records going back before any of us alive were born. I think as far back as 1902 or some ridiculous year near that.

I did most of my training in the 1970's and they have copies of all my certificates from then.

I know a chap that was a college lecturer. He needed to provide copies of his certs as he had lost them. He asked the C+G and they could not find them.......

He had to take his exams all over again as his employer needed the certs.....

I think it all depends on whether they can be bothered to look properly and if the details they have are correct or not compared to the details you are giving them. What i mean is, try and remember right now if when you passed your driving test did you put "Bert Smith" or "Bert Albert Smith"

See what i mean?? Might make a huge difference..

Good luck though!!!!

john..

Many thanks my fellow tradesman. I am on a Passport to Safety Course Monday and Tuesday but will certainly be ringing C&G on Wednesday and not taking no for an answer. Fingers crossed (I seem to be doing that a lot lately) and I will report back with the outcome.

Thanks again.

How about contacting previous employers? their could be a dusty employee file in a basement somewhere with photocopies in?

Out of interest who did you serve you time with in Lincoln? though if it was a big firm beginning with with S or W then neither are what they once were!

I had this EXACT problem, I served my time from 1978 - 1983 and had lost all my certificates (I can only think I left them at an interview)

Anyway, I had to get a JIB card/CSCS in 2010 for a new job but faced the same issues. I did not pay C&G to look as they said they could not

guarantee they would find them. I ended up really pissed off and rang the JIB where the guy wasn't interested and said the same thing over again that they need to see my qualifications, I then lost it and argued that I held a JIB approved electrician card for 10 years then came out of the trade and now I am returning after 7 years and I MUST have had the qualifications to get the card in the first place. He asked me my national insurance number and after a couple of minutes my new card was on its way to me, I couldn't believe how quick he changed. Later I had to ring the JIB for something else and spoke to a woman who said that it did not matter if you did not renew everytime, once a JIB spark always a JIB spark.

Regards,

Rob.