Making my own rig

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks badger for that diagram, Will use that as my foundation :) For the flying lead i presume it has 3 wires in it so i just connect neutral to neutral terminals and earth to earth terminals in the DB and then the brown wire to the RCD?

Thanks badger for that diagram, Will use that as my foundation :) For the flying lead i presume it has 3 wires in it so i just connect neutral to neutral terminals and earth to earth terminals in the DB and then the brown wire to the RCD?
Hmm, I'd possibly hold off on connecting anything up to a live supply just yet and become more familiar with connection of consumer units to the mains as per diagrams in the front of the OSG.

Hmm, I'd possibly hold off on connecting anything up to a live supply just yet and become more familiar with connection of consumer units to the mains as per diagrams in the front of the OSG.
for once i have to agree with lurch on thi one, it doesnt sound as you have much experience with consumer unit wiring as yet, so id look at asking a college lectruer to go through with you how a consumer unit is connected to the supply in a safe manner, otherwise you could end up having something go wrong :|

Is my theory wrong? When i do lighting circuits at college i connect the live wire in the twin & earth to the 6A MCB and the neutral and earth wires to their terminals in the DB, surely that's right?Would this be a cheap starting CU to use?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54580/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Volex-Consumer-Units/Volex-5-Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit#

@Badger: Ok, i agree, Only started the level 2 in october and i just want to keep learning. So I apologise if I am jumping the gun a bit :)

Sorry, I can only see one side of the conversation, I may have missed something. For that reason, I'm out.

Is my theory wrong? When i do lighting circuits at college i connect the live wire in the twin & earth to the 6A MCB and the neutral and earth wires to their terminals in the DB, surely that's right?Would this be a cheap starting CU to use?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54580/Electrical-Supplies/Consumer-Units/Volex-Consumer-Units/Volex-5-Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit#

@Badger: Ok, i agree, Only started the level 2 in october and i just want to keep learning. So I apologise if I am jumping the gun a bit :)
on a supply to a consumer unit BOTH the LIVE and NEUTRAL conductors are connected to the main switch or RCD

cu.jpg

Yes the Cu would be fine if you can get em cheaper as well Staff Discount eh eh??

back to the point of powering up your test rig...

As Lurch said use a bog standard 3 pin plug top...

but make sure you have only 5amp or 3amp fuse in it.

Plug it into your house through one of these adaptors

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63731/Electrical-Supplies/RCDs/Masterplug-RCD-Adaptor

when we consider that ANY untrained diy-bob can go and buy any bits from B&Q and go and wire himself a lead or circuit up, IMHO someone like yourself who is actually training as well..

is just as safe to try any bits you feel confident about.

If in doubt.. stop and ask professional help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I was talking about on the DOL (It was a two way lighting we had to do in college)...

Image051.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

have you used the focus do it all waste pip that runs outside from the over flow of your toilet sistern :^O :^O cause thats what i looks like mr admin sir :^O :^O :coat