Making simple 4 bulb lamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh just found this picture of batten holder bases, obviously the cable comes in from below not from each side.

Batten 3 bases.jpg

Excellent. All my questions answered. Will decide and get on with building the thing now!

I will prob come back at some point... 

Thanks for everyone's help. 

Found this in description. I guess that answers my question.

"This British General Batten Lamp Holder White is made of a non-conductive material so does not need to be Earthed itself, although the ceiling plate does include a large Earth terminal for termination of any Earth wires which are present at the site of installation."

The screw holes in the base mean it does not have a base plate.

Ones called loop in or 3 plate and no screw holes are the one with plates, they are larger in diameter as well.

Hello again.

Thought I should double check/ask things about wiring the lamp holders.

(The top picture (wired angled looped batons) is from internet and not my work)

As you can see the wires from my pendant (pic 3) are both white. I assume it doesn't matter which is live/neutral.

Which terminals do the pendant white wires go in to? My instruction booklet shows FAR LEFT TERMINAL (neutral) & FAR RIGHT TERMINAL (Live), but (pic 1) top pic (googled) shows one wire going into neutral and one into loop.

I guess my instruction book is correct?

I'm ok with the connecting baton holdet to baton holder with the wires as per diagram, using neutral and loop terminals and leaving the live terminals free for the first 3 lights, then wiring the 4th lights live wire into the live terminal? (Or all 4 live wires for all 4 lights in to the loop terminal?)

Wont be using a  seperate switch, so I'll ignore that.

Any thoughts? Am I thinking correctly?

I will show pictures when wiring?

I have read my words over and think they make sense.

Thanks
Rich

Screenshot_20180421-193853.jpg

20180421_194414.jpg

20180421_194946_1524336621647.jpg

20180421_194918_1524336610983.jpg

I would stick with the approved connections as in the instruction book and my picture.

One white wire from pendant in far left terminal with lives in the one beside it and the other white wire in the far left with neutrals in the next two. Earths to earth terminal and sleeved green and yellow if bare copper.

Wiring it as in the internet picture will cause confusion and risk as the lives are in the terminals marked N for neutral and the neutrals are in loop which should only be live and the earths not sleeved. A how not to do it picture i feel.

Thank you. I realise googled picture has live and neutral mixed up. I was more confused about white pendant wires.

To confirm:

Black - LIVE

Blue - NEUTRAL

Bit confused. You wrote to put BOTH white wires from pendant in to FAR LEFT terminal. I assume this is a typo and you meant one white into far RIGHT and other white into far LEFT, with both NEUTRALS (blue) in the next two terminals. Then the two LIVE (black) in the LOOP terminals.

I have drawn picture of how I will wire first three lights.

Could you answer below question too?

Does the final light in the chain/loop need to be wired differently?

I.e. Should final LIVE (black) go into LIVE terminal, instead of LOOP terminal?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20180422-105842.jpg

One into far left terminal and  one into far right.

Brown is live and blue is neutral.

Your method will not work.

Follow the picture:

Batten 3 bases plus lamp holder.jpg

Please ensure someone knowledgeable checks your work before you power this up as it could be extremely dangerous.

I will be checking with someone. I wouldn't be checking everything if I wasn't focused on safety. 

I will follow your diagram.

I thought my picture is wired as per manual. I understand you say its wrong, but I need to understand why.

Why do I not use loop terminals as per manual?

Is this a looping circuit or a junction box circuit?

Its Ok to put 2 live wires in to one terminal?

Did another picture.

Neutral terminal on left

Live terminal on right

Hopefully this is correct.

Loop refers to a mains loop I suppose.

If ok please let me know.

Thanks.

3aa07e8a-440f-4d86-9eb6-900f63621c77.jpg

On your first diagram the live supply was not connected to the light bulb; probably a key requirement of getting it to work.

As you do not have a switch then the loop section is not required and permanent (once plugged in) live can be connected direct to the lampholder wires.

You have done this with the second diagram.

Thank you.

As the 'earth' question has been raised...

Will it be safer if I use 3 core earthed wire?

No exposed metal parts etc

Latest posts