MCB keeps tripping RCCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to outlets been IR tested. the sockets themselves etc.. bit of dampness low IR on the socket,will cause it to trip. Had it many a time dropped the fronts off ir tested all clear stick socket back on nearly a dead short.
I had just that in a really damp old stone cottage.

The RCD tripping was caused by one socket in particular being dripping wet with condensation. With the socket removed the IR test on the wiring was not bad. A new socket fixed it, but I waned them unless they addressed the damp, it would happen again. Chance are a few hours in the airing cupboard would have dried out the old socket enough to put back.

I don't suppose the OP has been a bit carried away with cleaning in the kitchen and got water into a socket?

Seen damp problems inside accessories following wallpaper removal with a steam cleaner. They didn't quite grasp it was not a good idea to place the steam cleaner plate directly over the sockets.

Doc H.  

Sorry I didn't have my Fluke tester with me.

Replaced all sockets etc for new and still tripped.

Bypassed all sockets and tested. Added extra earthing sleeve to any earth that was sharing a sleeve. Slowly added 1 socket at a time, testing each time. By the time circuit was back to original length, RCCB still hadn't tripped.

Fixed sockets back on wall.

Circuit still working. 

Patrick

Sorry I didn't have my Fluke tester with me.

Replaced all sockets etc for new and still tripped.

Bypassed all sockets and tested. Added extra earthing sleeve to any earth that was sharing a sleeve. Slowly added 1 socket at a time, testing each time. By the time circuit was back to original length, RCCB still hadn't tripped.

Fixed sockets back on wall.

Circuit still working. 

Patrick

I hope you aren't charging for your services.

Get an electrician to sort it out.