My First Invoice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
I'm doing sort of homer for a friend on his fishing boat (i'm an apprentice marine spark). However, the company that owns the boat will need an invoice to pay me. So, how do I make up my own invoice, and i'm making the assumption that i dont charge vat, also, anyone got a rough idea what i should charge for labour?.

sorry if this seems a bit strange but ive never had to do this before lol.

Cheers

Bobby

you cannot charge VAT unless your VAT registered. which im guessing your not, otherwise you wouldnt have asked that

also, the company paying you may not be happy if you are not VAT registered, because if you supply any materials, you will have paid VAT on them but they will not be able to claim it back, so you suddenly become more expensive than someone who is VAT registered

No I work for a boat builders as an electrician but a friend has asked me to install an electric bilge pump for him, he as already bought the pump and any materials i supply will be from the company i work for so i wont be buying them, and i'm not stealing them either lol, i have permission from my boss to use materials from the company as its a small job, and i didnt think i could charge vat but thought id ask anyway just to make sure, so back to the original question lol how do i make an invoice and some guidance on a labour rate would be handy.

cheers

Bobby

Have you got excell they used to have a invoice template which I altered to suit my needs.

If not google invoice templates and use one from there.

Labour rate can be anything you want it to be... £1.00 per hour..  £100.00 per hour...

whatever your customer is prepared to pay...??

How much are you paid per hour by your employer would be a useful starting point..

Invoice..?  simplest just stick...

Your name & address,

Customer name & address

Date.

Description of work carried out.

Total cost.

onto a word document and print it out! 

simples!!

There is no obligation to have to itemise every thing on an invioce....

The more crucial question is...

are you declaring these earnings to the TAX man...

as there will be a paper trail confirming that you have received a payment for employed work.

:innocent

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing your customer just needs an invoice to enter into his accounts so he can set the cost against his tax .

Just do as Specs says ........your name  & address, date  etc     Just make up a one off invoice in Microsoft Word or whatever. If you are sure you know what you are doing and are not going to sink the boat or set it on fire just do it .     I seem to remember you were The Apprentice of the Universe or something !! 

If it takes you 8 hours I suggest you charge 8 hrs  @ your hourly rate  + travel exes etc  , add 25%  profit  and add 20% to cover any tax you may be asked to pay .  Include VAT for anything you supply but don't charge VAT on your total.       I don't imagine HMRC leaping onto the deck and arresting you for a couple of quid tax from a job for a mate .

I have no idea what Marine Electricians earn.

Although you are PAYE you could be doing this  sort of thing every weekend  but would need to have some insurance which could be expensive for that type of work , and be declaring the additional income.     I don't think you will bankrupt the country doing one job for a mate. 

Not many fishing boats in these parts so I guess at charging them £150.00 :C   for the day as an apprentice.  :C

Last edited by a moderator: