Nest Heat Link and Thermostat Y Plan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see the advantage of ease of installation, but in terms of the device itself, the MiGenie just doesn't seem to do the things Nest does.  I don't believe it learns any patterns, and I don't think it does geofencing either.  And it's about £160 vs £185 (if you shop around) for the Nest, so price-wise neither here nor there.  And it doesn't imho look anything like as nice.  Since reliability is apparently not a differentiator, it would seem the only advantage is ease of installation, which to be honest, doesn't swing it for me.

Hmmmm, interesting comments.  Why do you say this, steptoe?  What's wrong with it exactly?

I've looked at Hives and several of them in the shops have been broken - with the same fault - so I am not tempted by those.  The Nest looks great and has decent reviews.  What's wrong with it?

I can see the advantage of ease of installation, but in terms of the device itself, the MiGenie just doesn't seem to do the things Nest does.  I don't believe it learns any patterns, and I don't think it does geofencing either.  And it's about £160 vs £185 (if you shop around) for the Nest, so price-wise neither here nor there.  And it doesn't imho look anything like as nice.  Since reliability is apparently not a differentiator, it would seem the only advantage is ease of installation, which to be honest, doesn't swing it for me.

the design brief for the nest [imho] must have specifically stated that reliability  , and user-friendliness, must be avoided at all costs

you will be continually resetting it,

repairing it to your router

and reprogramming it when it decides it will pick and chose when your heating is on and not you

I don't believe it learns any patterns,

I think you might be right there, but it's not a major issue for the most part. What exactly are you missing out on there? If you set the heating to come on at 5 the MiGenie turns on at 5. The Nest tries to get the place warm for 5. I know it wouldn't take my heating long to get the place warm for 5 so I'd set it to come on at maybe 4:45. More marketing blurb from Nest, it really isn't all that much of a useful feature and doesn't really do anything.

and I don't think it does geofencing either.

If you feel that is important, again pros and cons to this. I find this completely useless, if I am popping out for an hour the heating would turn off, then the place would cool down and when I get back I'd be sat waiting for it to warm up again. I can sort of see the advantage in some instances, not really a deal breaker IMO, especially all things considered.

it's about £160 vs £185

Didn't realise the Nest had come down in price so much, that used to be a huge factor.

Since reliability is apparently not a differentiator, it would seem the only advantage is ease of installation, which to be honest, doesn't swing it for me.

Maybe I suppose, I am an electrician, I do not want to be faffing around fitting rubbish ill thought out awkward devices (over and over again....). I suppose as a DIYer YMMV, you are only doing it once.

So yeah, go for it then. Have fun.

Thanks folks - really appreciate your helpful input.

I apologise if I sounded dismissive of the MiGenie recommendation. I didn't mean to.  I am grateful for your help.

Cheers again.