Network Cable Tester

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions please?

Looking for something between one like this:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CX603R.html

& one like this:

http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/copper-testing/dtx-cableanalyzer-series

Primarily for Cat5/6 type cabling, i.e RJ45 network type connections & RJ11 telephone type connections.

I am looking for something more than point to point continuity checks, but not as advanced as the Fluke perhaps.

I would like to be able to identify though if say 4 cores of 2 twisted pairs were mixed, i.e. 1 core in each twisted pair used as a comms pair.

I hope my explanation makes sense?

Thanks

so you want to check the right colours/pairs have been used on the right pins, and not simply if the pins match?

dunno if any of the cheapos would do that TBH,

that would mean cross checking every wire with every other wire really, and then verifying the pairs matched, I still dont even think it would be able to tell what pair was on what pins though, no, it wouldnt,

if you need to tell what pairs are where I dont think short of a visual you could test that,

BTW, I use an el-cheapo too, just with decent patch leads, I dont do much so it does for me.

I have installed 10s of thousands of Network points.....only ever been asked for certified printed results on 2 sites!...so for these I hire in a Tester, Usually a Fluke DSP something or other

I test every point with a Mod Tap SLT3

1251056664.jpg

it does everything I need it to do, and if I have to 'hire in' then all points have already been 'proved' so it is just a case of flying around with the fluke

My tester does the screen test as well, don't think the one in the pic does that

Have a look on CPC site as they do a combined multimeter and pin out tester I think

Last edited by a moderator:
as above really, mod tap more than adequate. When i was doing a lot of comms I used something called a Pentascanner. Checked wire mapping (basic conections), impedance, NEXT etc and created a list of results which could be downloaded and printed off.

Have same as kerching got it from eBay few year back for £30 ish a lot more reliable than the ones I've had previously

Would it not be useful to use a lappie or ipad to ping the lines - or something similar - looking for response times on each pair? I know we usually only use half the wires, but can some form of software emulation move the pin config around, in order to do this? Or did you want a specific tester?

Hi this is a link to the model of the tester I have very simple to operate needs to be for me to use it.
That looks quite useful I'll have to have a investigate

I also have a Paladin Cable tester [cannot upload a link or an image for some reason, sorry.   Google Paladin cable tester...it is the grey and orange unit]       'identifying weird connections/pinouts'   RJ45-RS232 25 pin,     25pin to 9 pin etc

Red lights down the centre light up corresponding to the piouts as you scroll down with the white button

For fixed cables you would need to loop back the far end so it would be easier if the points were in pairs I suppose...never tried it for fixed cabling though as both transmit and receive are buit in to the same unit

I too have the Atlas IT. Very easy to use and gives clear and concise results.

It'll tell you which wires are wrong (if any) showing non-continuity and cross overs.

It'll also tell you which type of cabling has been employed.

I got mine from Maplin, about £80 iirc.