Newly qualified and not yet registered wanting to change my first CCU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ Lomax

Reaction score
I'm looking to change the CU at my Mum

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is,

What is a CCU ?

My other question is this,

Should you even be contemplating such a thing if you dont understand what is required ?

Through my training I was only taught about new instalation and not how to modify old ones which is why I'm asking on here. I want to change the Consumer unit from one containing 1980's circuit breakers to one with modern circuit breakers and RCD's

will I need to upgrade the earthing system to modern standards?

(if the local electricans would accept my help for free I could learn something but they seam to think that if they teach me thing I will steal all they're business)

can i ask what course you done?

unless you plan on doing only new installation work and severely limiting what you can do, then youve done the wrong course.

I've done

City & Guilds 2392 Inspection & Testing of Domestic Installations

City & Guilds 2382-12 17th Edition Electrical Wiring Regulations

Part P Domestic Electric Installer

will I need to upgrade the earthing system to modern standards?
Absolutely yes, surely this should have been covered on any electrical course that's worth the paper it's written on.

Do you think the earthing arrangements are adequate?
The system passed the earth loop impendence test so that would make me think yes kewtech kt64 used

but the only earth cable inside the consumer unit is around 4mm when building regs say it should be 16mm so that makes me think no which is why I'm asking here

The system passed the earth loop impendence test so that would make me think yes kewtech kt64 used
ah, the good old 'it works so it must be fine'

but the only earth cable inside the consumer unit is around 4mm when building regs say it should be 16mm so that makes me think no which is why I'm asking here
maybe you should be reading 7671 instead of building regs. after all, the info you require is in 7671, not building regs

If you are newly qualified the information should be fresh in your memory, although I suspect that you may have been trained by one of those training establishments that just take your money.

The earthing arrangements are TT and this has a direct bearing on the size of main earth. It is an electrical regulation and not a building regulation as you say.

TT system?

You say it has acceptable Earth loop reading but do you think 4mm is acceptable?

I will hold my hands up and admit I have little experience of TT systems as I mostly do industrial and commercial work.

What's the Ra measure?

You do realise the type of setup you need in your new CU with a TT system?

If you are newly qualified the information should be fresh in your memory, although I suspect that you may have been trained by one of those training establishments that just take your money.The earthing arrangements are TT and this has a direct bearing on the size of main earth. It is an electrical regulation and not a building regulation as you say.
Yes as you say I think it may have been trained at 'one of these establishments' but I did it with a view to learning the basics and then helping out a self employed electrician for minimum wage or free to build my experience.

I work full time as an aeronautical engineer but I work 4 days on 4 days off so have a lot of spare time which I'd like to use to make money once I feel experienced and confident enough to work on my own.

as I said before no local electricians will take me on incase I take all their business once I've improved my skills.

What was your earth loop result?

What so you think is permitted?

Do you not think the services require bonding?

as I said before no local electricians will take me on incase I take all their business once I've improved my skills.
its not just that, its also the fact that you may aswell have no qualifications at all. you dont know what you are doing, so whoever your with is going to have to spend a lot of time with you, so the job is going to take longer which most people dont want. unless they are looking for someone with no experience and wanting to train them, in which case, they would be looking for an apprentice

The first thing to do is to go over your notes, I very much doubt that your theory is the problem, it will be your experience of the practical.

If you sit down and write down what you want to do in a methodical manner, you will create for yourself a step by step guide.

Changing the CU will not pose too many problems providing that you do your testing properly. So read all the notes on earthing, and the requirements for TT, remember it is definitely not the same as TN earthing, and the permitted readings are different.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:44 ----------

I have moved this thread to the student area