Newly qualified and not yet registered wanting to change my first CCU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am not completely clueless but I hold my hand up and say I know nothing about upgrading exsiting intallations
Could this friend of a friend not come and do the job for you with the agreement that you watch/help?

Could this friend of a friend not come and do the job for you with the agreement that you watch/help?
No I live near Gatwick where I work and the flat was local and so is the Mike the friend of a friend. My Mum's house is in Wilmlsow, Cheshire 220 miles away. I might advertise on here for help with the job.

I am working in Wilsmlow this week and next, hows that for coincidence? Its a pity after this I am in south London for a month, a bit far from Crawley.

I just lifted this from one of the many training centres websites

City & Guilds 2392-10 Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing & Initial Verification

Summary:

'This 4 day course is designed for students with no or limited experience of inspection and testing of electrical installations.

It will enable those carrying out work in domestic installations to verify their own work as required by Part P of the Buildings Regulations.'

These people should not be allowed to sell these courses under the headings of 'become an electrician' headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about contacting the local DNO? I called them as my mothers in croydon is on a TT. They have inspected the service head and agree it is dated and is due changing and as there is no earth they will bring one in. All for the grand price of free!

I am working in Wilsmlow this week and next, hows that for coincidence? Its a pity after this I am in south London for a month, a bit far from Crawley.
I'm down south for the next 4 weeks shame I couldn't meet up and show you what I'm looking to upgrade in wilmslow.

Where are you based?

Where abouts in south London are you working? Maybe I could come and lend a hand?

I'm down south for the next 4 weeks shame I couldn't meet up and show you what I'm looking to upgrade in wilmslow.Where are you based?

Where abouts in south London are you working? Maybe I could come and lend a hand?
I work nationwide, Steptoe lives not far from Wilmslow, I am near Bromley for the next month.

Thanks I will speak to them. They have been in touch to come and change the metre to digital one soon so I'll see if they can do it then.

Do you ever need any free laybour in croydon? I'm just down the road in crawley

Thanks I will speak to them. They have been in touch to come and change the metre to digital one soon so I'll see if they can do it then.
the meter monkey wont be able to change earthing type. he can only change the meter. its the DNO who would give you TNCS or TNS if it was available

Did you pay much for your course??

Sounds like you ought to get a refund as they seem to have skipped "FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPALS"

such as Reg 132.16..

how do they expect you to meet this from what you have been taught???

:(

Shame on you londonfire, give me good reason why you would downgrade a TT system to TN ?

Yep, thanks manator, Wilmslow is within my area, Im in Marple on Saturday,

So its not far from me at all, in fact much closer than quite lot of my work.

Mainly because it was earthed on an old gas pipe and when i weight up the ball ache of running a rod about 15m to the garden it won hands down lol. Although as far as the regs go its disused (checked continuity with new gas pipework) and would now be seen as underground pipework that is unlikely to be removed. Only 5 ohms too!

Don't think the DNO are going to be much help. As far as I know it's Uk power networks and they will tell you to crack on with a TT system and invariably not upgrade to TNCS. So you're gonna have to figure out these earthing arrangements. Mate there is a big picture of it in the OSG.

Don't think the DNO are going to be much help. As far as I know it's Uk power networks and they will tell you to crack on with a TT system and invariably not upgrade to TNCS. So you're gonna have to figure out these earthing arrangements. Mate there is a big picture of it in the OSG.
I enquired about this to the EDF guy purely out of interest as all the neighbours houses are on PME. The guy said off the record that if he were me he'd stick with my TT system as at least I can maintain that etc. We're very rural and as soon as they put intermediate earths on the poles the pikeys thieve them! My neighbors Ze must vary from week to week!

To the OP, if you do go the route of getting them out then think about fitting an REC isolator too.

Latest posts