NIC EIC v Elecsa

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minor works you can if competent install and test and write out a minor works cert, you can buy a book of these from cef for under

u dont need 2391 just 2382, a tester i would def get sooner rather than later its a big outlay but your commited to doing the trade so get it as soon as u can u do need it. i got megger mft 1552 for about

i recently joined elecsa as part p, got no complaints about them they have always been very helpful. I think elecsa is a lot cheaper then nic. When i did my assessment i only needed 1 job, and the nic wanted to assess 2 different jobs and both being within 30 mins drive from your office. I had to test and inspect my own work to prove i was able to carry out all the correct tests and procedures. I think elecsa is very good and them being cheaper than nic means that you can still keep your prices down.

well nic wants a primary and secondary job. Primary being minor works such as adding in socket outlet in ring main and secondary like changing a cu or running electric to an outside building. Elecsa only wants a secondary job. You could even change the cu on your own property so no need to go looking for work elsewhere.

but i suggest you give them both a ring as things could have changed by now i registered with elecsa 3 months ago.

only spoke to niceic they are as u say one minor one major

Well I cant see any down sides Elecsa, they seem less red tape than NIC EIC, I guess the bottom line is I can give them a go and after all a good few of you guys use them and you obviously have no problems or would have changed.

Would be easier in my position also as I only need 1 job (just change my CU for a reduction in my rent! haha)

I know what you mean Tom1 about not needing 2391 but if you put a multi meter in my hand now I am not sure how I would get on... but I do need one thats for sure.

You getting on well Tom1 doing the minor works only at the moment?

In the old days (2005) there was a bit of a do when it came to part P.

Yes truthfully it was a rushed through peice of legislation, true electricians who had worked all their lives where now told (by government) that you could not do your job unless registered.

Then came the choice of governing bodies.

The NICEIC had a very strict and rigid system of enrolement, there was no give or take, you either could do it or you could not.

I wanted to be registered with the best, and bit the bullet, in my abilities etc etc.

Some friends of mine who I had worked with and where like me self employed decided to go to NAPPIT or ELESCA, their only reason at that time was they where afraid of a failure with the NICEIC assesment.

In 2005 that may have been true, nowadays I think anyone who can hold a screwdriver can pass an assesment with the NICEIC, and the other providers are no better.

I would recommend an anual 2391 type exam,a full rewire part done, a full rewire first fix and a customer bank of reviews to pass any assesment.

Only jokin:)

You now have to decide what type and what sector of work you are doing, then look at the scheme providers who will offer the most help and rewards.

I doubt I will ever leave the NICEIC, although they do hate my abrupt forthcomming comments, however they have been good to me and I to them, apart from the name calling.

Its all down to personal choice, they all do the same. (take your money)

its not to bad but i run into problems with some jobs, i intend to get registered asap, going to put power to my brothers outbuilding by means of new circuit. and i added some socket in my house a while back, will prob use that.

if u need help testing osg is good and isbn 9780750687195 17th iee wiring reg inspection testing and certifiction. i also have a nic eic dvd i could send you that runs through most of it.

Green-Hornet you had me going for a bit with you list of things to do! haha

Well its domestic I am interested in, thats where my experiance is and I loved it, So I want to focus there. So i think either will be ok for me, hey if I run into a problem I can always change cant I.

Elecsa migth be easier for me to get into simply for the less jobs I will have to show them.

@ tom1 the DVD would be great, if you dont mind ill post it back! Guiness Drink. Who are you going with do you think?

no prob just pm your address.

elecsa sounds more straight forward, but prob nic eic because its more well known.

it should not realy matter though they all offer the same i think.

the nic dvd is pretty helpful.

When i did my saaesment I changed my consumer unit. I knew where everything was and found it more relaxing not having to go to a customers house.

My thoughts on my first assesment was make it as easy as possible! dont try showing a to big a job.

the elecsa guy i had was very good.

might go for that option.

u would think that if posible you could put in a new circiut do the dead test, leave it dead then when the inspector comes round redo dead test wire it into the mcb and live test

Latest posts