NIC or NAPIT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4285sct

Reaction score
Hi There, just completed a domestic installers part P course, i'm just wondering if anyone has any input into which body i should join?

Whether it should be NAPPIT or NIC etc.

Thanks

Scott

I'm NAPIT, but theres not much between any of them.

They're all a pain in the ass who only want your money

Scott

What you need to look at is which one suits your needs. I am with British Standards as that suits me you have a choice of five so see what each offer and pick the one that suits you. Welcome to the forum.

Batty

I've just joined Elecsa .. passed the assessment this week ... all contact i've had with them has been very helpful and they've been efficient to date ... one thing the guys on here pointed out is that at the end of the day we're their customers and so far it still feels like it .... i'll let you know after the first few months tho if it's still the case ... :|

I'm with NAPIT as I particularly like their focus on inspection, testing and every member has to get 2391 ASAP. I worked for an NICEIC approved contractor with 20+ emplotyees with only 3 2391 qualified people - and not that many 16th edition (at the time). Seems more like a scam than ever!

I'm with NAPIT as I particularly like their focus on inspection, testing and every member has to get 2391 ASAP. I worked for an NICEIC approved contractor with 20+ emplotyees with only 3 2391 qualified people - and not that many 16th edition (at the time). Seems more like a scam than ever!
well the 2391 thing has proved false.

see here

Choosing your scheme provider is a little like choosing you anual car insurance.

All providers allow you to self certify your work.

Personaly knowing what I know now I would go with the cheapest, and will continue to trade off one provider against the others for years to come.

Long gone are the times where belonging to a trade means anything anymore.

If I would have known in 1976 that in the year 2006 I could be an electrician in 5 days and join the nic I would have gone for a jaunt around the world.

Saved loads of brain cells and have had some fun.

My advise go with whoever is cheapest.

I've heard that NAPIT assesments can be easier than NIC, who will insist on seeing an actuall job. But I'm still in touch with the head of department at my local college and he went with NAPIT purely because they were prepared to asses work that was done in the booths at the college. Which helped him with running courses. That was 3 years ago. I don't know if its still the case.

I've heard that NAPIT assesments can be easier than NIC, who will insist on seeing an actuall job. But I'm still in touch with the head of department at my local college and he went with NAPIT purely because they were prepared to asses work that was done in the booths at the college. Which helped him with running courses. That was 3 years ago. I don't know if its still the case.
i dont think college assessments are a good idea. wiring a bay at college is a little different from a house. too different to be of any use. and how can the person prove that its his work, and not just something that he has claimed?

i dont think college assessments are a good idea. wiring a bay at college is a little different from a house. too different to be of any use. and how can the person prove that its his work, and not just something that he has claimed?
but that goes with the houses you have rewired aswell :^O :^O

i dont know who to go with so i think i will get a info pack from all of them and then decide, still dont make it easy but i wont be giong with nic.thanks for all your info keep it flowing O)

i dont know who to go with so i think i will get a info pack from all of them and then decide, still dont make it easy but i wont be giong with nic.thanks for all your info keep it flowing O)
ELECSA friendliest! :D

Hello 4285sct, I think that sounds the most sensible thing to do, get the information packs or download as much enrolment details from the web-sites as possible. Listen to the various opinions from places like this forum, (allowing for the natural bias of opinions by members of one particular scheme). The more difficult bit to evaluate is the potential benefit of work/jobs gained though being a member of one body compared to another, which will have implications on what you get back out of the membership fee you invest.

Doc H.

i really havent a clue what people have got against the NICEIC im a member and although i think their prices are a little deear isnt that like all the scam providers

Around here it seems, according to the amount of vans with their logos, that it's illegal to join anything other than NIC. Or maybe they're just showing off!