Nice Work "not"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well we are currently working on a new swimming pool project, and advised by client there's plenty of power in the garage to take your supply from.

On looking in the garage we found this, apparently done last year, what a mess, so many issues.

Supply to House.jpg

Lack of grommet in the top of the metal box.

Single insulated SWA cores outside an enclosure.

It's certainly not usual to have three individual isolators for a 3 phase supply.

Is the SWA under sized? Depends what it's feeding and the rating of the fuses in the isolator. Looks like 10mm, possibly 16mm no bigger.

Its feeding 3 X Single Phase Distribution Fuseboards in a large house.

In the house just as bad, SWA glanded onto adaptable box with no lid because the single sheathe cables go to 2 of 3 Fuseboards below it , the grey and blue connects to link boxes and a 16mm² T&E shoots off upstairs somewhere.

I had to move all the kids toys and bikes to take this photo.

I would have thought terminating his SWA into a TP&N Switchfuse would have been easier and cheaper. 

I would love to see a picture of how the inside stuff distributes to the three SP boards.  I think if I had done that it would be one small TP board in the garage feeding three single phase submains to each of the house CU's,

Clearly done by someone that doesn't "do" 3 phase.

I've seen worse on farms mind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch fuse L3 is missing a wylex logo :slap

There are 4 earth cables on the top side of the MET 3 goto the switch fuses what's the other one doing? Gas/water bond?

Look like someone slipped the DNO a fiver ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to see a picture of how the inside stuff distributes to the three SP boards.  I think if I had done that it would be one small TP board in the garage feeding three single phase submains to each of the house CU's,

Clearly done by someone that doesn't "do" 3 phase.

I've seen worse on farms mind you.
My thoughts entirely.

Note the Switch Fuses only have Live in and Live out  :innocent

Asked client how he would isolate and he said he was told to switch off the one relevant to the fuse board inside L1,L2,L3  :facepalm:

Switch fuse L3 is missing a wylex logo :slap

There are 4 earth cables on the top side of the MET 3 goto the switch fuses what's the other one doing? Gas/water bond?

Look like someone slipped the DNO a fiver ;)
the 4th earth goes to the DNO supply   via the back of the board.

Canoeboy said:
Did he certificate it ? Did you mention all the problems to the home owner ? Probably the Pool Sparky - We have some round here and they are - well enough said :slap
Not sure if whoever did it certified but the client said they have concerns.

We try not to get involved with other peoples installs, but if asked for an opinion we will give it.

For now I have just said if we were asked to carry out a test and inspection we would deem it unsatisfactory.

Our contract is for the installation to the indoor swimming pool and gym, no doubt more will come of this.

I will try and get in the house and get a pic of the mess inside.

Well if I was following on to do work on that then there would be a verbose write up in the comments on the existing installation in the way of a "mini" EICR.

Luckily I don't have to do much domestic.

Had another one last week where I had to basically condemn the DIY install to the extent that the medical works could not be put in unless things were put right.

So far off compliance with current regs, and ACM's all over the place.

NO chance of it happening.

Oh and not forgetting the mixed earthing, TN-S for half the property & TT for the other half.

However, not done correctly and the quality of the install would have had regs 132-134 all over the place on the assessment!

Some of the stuff my company has seen on caravan parks is unbelievable, some people some to forget about voltage drop and ip ratings

i like the earth clamped under the washer.
Still standard practice on a lot of stuff, think cookers and immersion heaters.

Remember the old MEM fuse boxes where the earth "terminal" was a strip of metal held down with a nut and bolt each end, and you were supposes to put all your CPC's in there together and tighten it up.

Latest posts