NICEIC DI?........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh but you watch the pop up companies that will offer them for ridiculous price, well we have some already but can you imagine it will be a licence for them to appear in their droves! 

Maybe the recommendation should be that remedial work should be conducted by a 3rd party ...

It's all a bit odd

...not that sure I can even be bothered with it
With the litigious society we live in these days, you have to ask is it worth it, you miss the slightest thing and it comes back and bites you later, plus unless you have photo's of everything how do you prove that an issue that crops up later wasn't there when you did the inspection?

It's a bit like an MOT, ok, they say the mot is only based on the condition of the vehicle at the time the MOT was done, but if something goes wrong a few weeks later they always look at the test first.

Suppose you do an EICR and it's fine, then next week someone damages a socket and in changing it they get L and E reversed, someone gets hurt and all hell breaks loose. The owner of the property swears that the offending socket was there before you did the EICR, therefore you didn't do the checks properly, how the hell do you prove it wasn't? you can't. I know a few people who are saying they may stop doing inspections and to be honest I can't blame them.

I find testing boring, but it needs to be done and brings in remedial works.

TBH I'm not bothered if I get the remedial works ............. all depends on the client and their attitude towards an "unsatisfactory" report .................... 

Just going over a recent EICR for the Church, you know ....THE Church

C3.           No test labels on portable appliances

C3.           Unswitched sockets

just saying

PAT testing is outside the scope of an EICR

Where in BS7671 does it say all sockets need to be switched ?????????????????

I know that

you know that

any decent Spark knows that

...alas a gullible client doesn't 

my job is to sharpen my secondary defecation portal  creation weapon and administer it accordingly

TBH I'm not bothered if I get the remedial works ............. all depends on the client and their attitude towards an "unsatisfactory" report .................... 

Totally in agreement here, I never cease to be amazed by people who ask for an EICR, then seem surprised when it is unsatisfactory, quite often the installation has received no proper maintenance over the years, or has been messed about with by the diy brigade. Would, one wonders, these same people be as surprised if having not maintained their car for a year, it failed the annual mot, probably not.

I had one landlord, he was quite happy to let his tenants do whatever they wanted in one of his properties, following the EICR, which I had issued and was unsatisfactory, he asked what it would cost to get a 'clean' report.  I told him there was about £300 worth of work needed to sort it, fundamentally, the installation was fine, the problems were down to  the idiot tenant and his alterations. he'd  'installed' about a dozen outside lights in a tiny garden, some were connected straight out of the back of a socket (pir fittings), ones requiring switches were wired the same, but with a switch inserted, no fusing down whatsoever. He needed to add one light and decided to connect it to the boiler feed, the trouble was he couldn't get his feeds into the box as there were 3 cables in already(2 ring and one boiler feed), no problem, fit another surface box and drag the 'spare' cable (one leg of ring) out of the boiler feed, so now he's got 2 radials instead of a ring circuit. The annoying thing about this was that about 3 years previously I had rewired the house and knew it was right, now he needs a cert because of a change of tenant and all this comes to light, and the landlords attitude was, "well how come there's all these problems when you only rewired it 3 years ago", like it's my fault.

Simple question.....Can a DI carry out an Inspection and Test of an Emergency lighting system?

i read somewhere that they cannot do EICR (PIRs)...even that may have changed now

just wondering
Back to the original question. Is this I&T of the fixed wiring for the lighting system under BS7671 or annual servicing and inspection under BS5266?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original question. Is this I&T of the fixed wiring for the lighting system under BS7671 or annual servicing and inspection under BS5266?
This was a totally separate job to just do a Cert for the emergency lighting per BS5266

it was the other joker who C3 'd the unswitched sockets and lack of PAT stickers