Nightstor 120 Tomer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct sir, there is no current at all between the blue/brown wires. I must have blown a fuse, hopefully not the whole board :(

I'm very grateful, I'll call the electrician now.

Remind me to never touch stuff like this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have since discovered that a 5A fuse was dead. I've changed it, and now when I turn the unit on I hear a gentle whirring sound (which I'm sure I used to hear before anyway, fan?) but those wires are still not live and the heating doesn't come on :(

A quick update for ProDave and anyone that may encounter the issue:

I'd emailed HES (the company that sells the replacement timer) to ask about the ETA on delivery, and a nice man called Tony emailed back and said when it arrives he's happy to talk me through installation and basic troubleshooting provided I was happy to use a multimeter.

When it arrived, he rang me that evening and together ran through tests. It turns out that the feed to the  thermostat was dead, which was weird. After a bit of thinking, he asked me to take the mainboard out (with very clear instructions I should add) and he asked me to look at a specific joint, and indeed it had blown!

As luck would have it, the wife can do basic soldering so with a drop of solder it was all fixed, reinstalled, and now working perfectly without silly ticking noises. All this just in time for the cold weather.

I should say that I'm very impressed with the service HES provided. The man could have very easily sent me an engineer out for and easy £85, instead he was trying really hard to try to fix it over the phone, and he did. I can't fault their service and customer care.

Glad you got it sorted.

Was it a blown "joint" or a bit of PCB track that had blown?

You already knew the feed was dead. I just wonder if in the process of accidentally shorting something and blowing the fuse, a bit of PCB track had blown as well.  If so poor design as the track wasn't thick enough or should have been protected by a smaller fuse.

Either way you got it sorted so well done.

There are 3 pins that connect to a live feed, the connection between one of those pins and the green board had broken. Which I think is called a joint, though I may well be wrong.

Most of the credit goes to Tony from HES and my wife; I just worked a multimeter by phone instruction :D

Latest posts