Not Electrial, But Still Rough Imo

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulmer

Reaction score
Bits I saw on a job the other day. If I were to ever run cable like this, customer would be onto me right away.

I think the installer would prefer it if you referred to him as a 'heating engineer'

It does seem the norm thesedays, every new heating job I see is done like this. I only know 1 plumber who still works with copper and throughout the whole system.

How many of you would pay up if this was the work done, I know Iwouldn't

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many use copper like cable its expensive and with pushfits plastic is quicker. As said on the installs I see they use plastic but bring copper out through the floor.

Personally I cant stand this plastic pipe, it sags, its usually installed messily as its easy to cut a length and shove a quick fitting on the end... fittings are bulky also.

I always use copper still, because I like it to look neat and tidy.

Agreed very rough

but look at the decor. Paint all over the socket fronts etc.  Clearly a householder who just does / accepts rough work, so you would probably get away with rough wiring there.

maybe, but thing is... a lot of plumbers are like this now, everything's plastic pipe with the bulky quick fittings.

I cringe every time I see it used, in some instances in the past where possible ive even ripped it out and replaced it with copper just to make a decent job. Its not even like they cant do copper work as most do gas work and you have to use copper for the gas pipes... just laziness, certainly not cost as the fittings are a heck of a lot more expensive than end feed solder copper fittings.

One reason why I am not completely for how society has become whereby you need to be qualified to do anything, it does not really improve things.

in the case of plumbers, there was time served plumbers who actually took pride in their work and did some real great work, but now they aren't allowed to touch electrics because they "aren't qualified" or "not registered with a governing body" but ive seen some qualified plumbers and look at their work and wonder how they even got qualified, they don't even follow the regulations themselves.

seen same with windows and doors, Fensa registered installers leaving installations with gaping gaps and drafts... yet the guy who does it properly, seals it with not a single draft is the one who is in breach of building regulations unless they notify it and pay a hefty fee.

qualifications just don't necessarily improve things.

few month ago done a job in a recently built shed installing some lights

this was supposed to have been a professional job assembling the shed. screws sticking out all over the place

We toyed with the idea of buying a house with subsidence once.

It was a timber house and one end had sunk in one corner.  It had had a new roof fitted and that had been "squared up" but one bedroom floor had a good slope to it.

It was for sale very  cheap. Had we bought it, we would have done a quick patch up (jack up and level the joists) and rented it out for a few years, with the longer term aim of it being a building plot for a new house. But they wouldn't sell for what we were prepared to buy.

gonna be seeing a lot of that plastic rubbish in council work. the one i sub for is now only refitting plastic for all plumbing bar gas and 1M from boiler. i seen one the other day that had copper for 1st meter then a shed load of plastic connections that ran everywhere else looked a right mess. plus yea its a lil cheaper but they are gonna be constantly repairing it with the battering some of there properties get.

gonna be seeing a lot of that plastic rubbish in council work.
Blue;....LOOKS like rubbish but flexi is all very well IF well supported AND

rated for the temperature to be encountered.  A lot of plumbers like it, it is

quick, BUT I would expect copper to be seen where it was offered up to

the rads. A lot of folk who do plumbing training rate it very well, but they

stress the proper method of installation, and a product can get a bad name

as a consequence of bad installation.