Obtaining a Fishtail key

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahlquist

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where to purchase Fishtail keys from?

I work for a small company and it appears that they don't have a key so we can't do our own tests of our emergency lighting.

Thanks,

Ken

Hi,Does anyone know where to purchase Fishtail keys from?

I work for a small company and it appears that they don't have a key so we can't do our own tests of our emergency lighting.

Thanks,

Ken
Hello Ken, Welcome to the forum.

Doc H.

Thanks for the welcome Doc Hudson.

I have looked at the the web link suggested by danny7299 and they seem to have the item.

I am going to hold off a bit before I order any from them because the shipping costs are a bit heavy for such a small item.

I am not an electrician...just someone who is technical who was asked to help out the office manager with her health and safety duties.

Ken

how many are you after , if you just need one or two i think i may have some kicking around the van i can send you.

Cheers

Dan

go into any wholesaler and ask for an emergency light switch

they come with them

I bought Several off of a seller on eBay.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

:)

Hi,Does anyone know where to purchase Fishtail keys from?

Thanks,

Ken
Hi there Kahlquist AKA Ken:D

welcome to the slightly falling off the side of the internet forum...

Beware the after darker's! they can go off on tangents of tangents! :( ]:)

you will need a few of these if you log on after 23:00!Guiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

Anyway fish-tails the only extra point I would add is..

They are not all the same..

some manufactures have a slightly wider or narrower hole / key! :(

may be worth checking the make of switches you need to operate? :|

A job I do some work at has a couple of fused spurs working some hand driers with fishtails

& another switch controlling some lights on a landing stairway.

I am trying to remember what makes they are...

but I can't remember....

But I do know the two for the toilet hand driers are identical but the landing switch is a different make..

and one of the keys will only work the specific switches it came with..

its too fat to fit in the other slot!

whereas the other key works ALL three! :|

HTH:D

All,

Thanks for all of the information and the welcome messages.

I never knew that there were different types. Ideally, I am after 3 keys but even one would be helpful.

So far, I only found one light switch which would take the key. No idea what the make is.

We are in a small three storey building...would I expect to find more test points?

Ken

All,Thanks for all of the information and the welcome messages.

I never knew that there were different types. Ideally, I am after 3 keys but even one would be helpful.

So far, I only found one light switch which would take the key. No idea what the make is.

We are in a small three storey building...would I expect to find more test points?

Ken
use key switch, check em. lighting is on. if some are not, then either there dead, or the live is still there. meaning another switch somewhere

Ok, I still have not sourced a fishtail key. Also was out of the office when there was a power failure and the people in the office can't recall which lights stayed on or came on when the power failed.

I have discovered the following:

Downstairs where our boiler is there is a place that takes a fish tail key that is marked emergency lights.

On the ground floor in the main stairwall there is also a place on the light switches to insert a fish tail key. I have also seen a place to insert a fish tail key under the circuit breaker box on the ground floor and first floor.

Have yet to find the one on the top floor.

Would these other places to insert fish tail keys also be for testing of emergency lights?

Thanks,

Ken

All these points are test switches, I would get some one to come in and check your emergency lighting properly.

There could be some of the lighting that has been switched off, batteries have run flat and now no emergency lighting .

Check to see if there is a red or green led light lit on all fittings, if not then the power to those lights is not present.

Ok, I still have not sourced a fishtail key. Also was out of the office when there was a power failure and the people in the office can't recall which lights stayed on or came on when the power failed.I have discovered the following:

Downstairs where our boiler is there is a place that takes a fish tail key that is marked emergency lights.

On the ground floor in the main stairwall there is also a place on the light switches to insert a fish tail key. I have also seen a place to insert a fish tail key under the circuit breaker box on the ground floor and first floor.

Have yet to find the one on the top floor.

Would these other places to insert fish tail keys also be for testing of emergency lights?

Thanks,

Ken
Probably...

BUT not absolutely categorically yes!

A fish tail key is just a one-way or two-way switch that can only be operate by a key not a finger.

thus they could be anywhere that a one-way or two-way switch is used,

Latest posts