Only half of lights on Circuit working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petegft

Reaction score
Hi, for no reason I can think of, half the lights on the lighting circuit of my Bungalow are not working, any advice would be appreciated please ?

I suspect a lose connection of the loop cable through them. Switch off the circuit and check the ceiling roses, normally the middle terminal.

Unless its a lose neutral.... in which case it will not be the middle terminal...

Have you had any lamps blow recently?

I have known faults where one of the copper conductors has been significantly squashed,
and an increase in current when a halogen lamp blew was sufficient to finally break the weakened connection.

Also had the classic problem of rodents chewing at cables...
weather gets a bit cooler..
So our furry friends decide to look in-doors.. and chew at anything including cables!!!

At the risk of insulting you, are you sure there are not two lighting circuits and one has tripped?
Pro Dave, I’m not insulted just glad of advise from this forum 👍😂
There is only one Circuit on a 6am breaker 👍
I have found the problem, it’s the light Rose that is lit however, not sure it’s live loop as they seemed secure? Oddly, the lights came on again when I fastened the Ceiling Rose plastic cover up 😳 I’ll check that Rose out again tomorrow in daylight 👍
Meanwhile thanks to you all who’ve taken time to reply to me , it’s much appreciated 👏

Pro Dave, I’m not insulted just glad of advise from this forum 👍😂
There is only one Circuit on a 6am breaker 👍
I have found the problem, it’s the light Rose that is lit however, not sure it’s live loop as they seemed secure? Oddly, the lights came on again when I fastened the Ceiling Rose plastic cover up 😳 I’ll check that Rose out again tomorrow in daylight 👍
Meanwhile thanks to you all who’ve taken time to reply to me , it’s much appreciated 👏
So that sounds like a poor connection or broken wire in that rose.

In daylight, turn off that lighting circuit, preferably the whole house to be really safe, cut back each individual wire a bit re strip and re terminate.

Be VERY careful not to mix any of the wires up, not all reds and not all blues will be the same.

Be VERY careful is my advice. A lost neutral means the neutral will appear live

Additional clarification....
Of course what Murdoch actually meant to say, but was too lazy to type more words, is that despite some people incorrectly thinking that a neutral conductor is not a dangerous wire...

In reality a "Neutral conductor" and a "Line conductor" are BOTH considered "LIVE PARTS" and should always be treated with care...

And if a circuit has a broken neutral connection so that it is no longer tied to earth, both 'Line' and 'Neutral' can be at 230v potential with respect to earth!!

So they should only be worked on when you have proved the circuit is isolated from a supply that could cause serious damage and/or injury!!

And for additional extra clarification....
If you have a broken neutral conductor part way down a circuit that is live...
and you put a voltage tester between 'Line'(Live) and 'Neutral' that are BOTH at 230v, the tester will show zero Volts as 230v - 230v = 0v, which could make you think that the circuit is dead, when it is NOT!!

So if testing voltages, Always use a known good earth reference point to confirm if anything is live or not?

If not a loose connection could be vermin damage as they like wiring. Is it an older property?

If you have a broken neutral conductor part way down a circuit that is live...
and you put a voltage tester between 'Line'(Live) and 'Neutral' that are BOTH at 230v, the tester will show zero Volts as 230v - 230v = 0v, which could make you think that the circuit is dead, when it is NOT!!
Which is why I have my motto, "I don't touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first"

No doubt there will now be incoming from those who think they should be banned,

Which is why I have my motto, "I don't touch anything that my neon screwdriver has not touched first"

No doubt there will now be incoming from those who think they should be banned,
I think a neon screwdriver is a very useful thing as it is testing between what may be "live" and earth in "series" with you, which is exactly what you want to know.. Also, i think they are very good for a quick check of polarity..

john..

Hi Guys, just to update and conclude my issue, there was a loose Neutral in the loop of the last working light. I tripped the MCB and checked with my Volt Pen that all wires were safe and then reconnected the wire which was in a terminal with another wire !
Tightening brass screws with two wire in always tricky! I’m a retired Mechanical Engineer and I thank you all again for you interest and advise 👏

Hi Guys, just to update and conclude my issue, there was a loose Neutral in the loop of the last working light. I tripped the MCB and checked with my Volt Pen that all wires were safe and then reconnected the wire which was in a terminal with another wire !
Tightening brass screws with two wire in always tricky! I’m a retired Mechanical Engineer and I thank you all again for you interest and advise 👏

Thankyou for coming back and updating us on your result...

With far to many threads we never get to hear if a problem is resolved!!

Thankyou for coming back and updating us on your result...

With far to many threads we never get to hear if a problem is resolved!!
Hi again, I’ve just found a 6amp RCBO amongst some odds and sods I have !
The Electrician I used for over ten years and a neighbour, rewired a Bathroom Fan for me about five years ago . The lighting circuit is not protected by RCD , not unusual apparently however, Electrician did say if I bought a 6amp RCBO he would install for me ! We’ve never got round to fitting it ! Tragically, Russ passed away last year after illness in his mid - fifties 😟 he was a great Lad and a competent Electrician.
Is it worth fitting this RCBO ? or am I just increasing the risk of outages needlessly?
Thanks 👍

If it is a compatible device I don't see why not, it will only trip in normal circumstances if there is a fault.