Opinions on an EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would anyone bother with noting older switchfuses  , from late 1960 's  , they are the opposite to today's  switchfuses & isolators .   Where the flag appears to indicate  on or off   the colours are the other way around .....Green is ON   , Red Is OFF  .    It was altered , (for the EU  I suppose)  to   Green for OFF   & Red ON .

I notice the workshop guys there are used to  them  but  it  always throws  me  TBH  .    

nope. providing its clearly marked with on or off then colour of it wouldnt make any difference imo. nothing in the regs to say there is a colour requirement either

On nearly every EICR i do i put as number 1 recommendation   "Installation carried out to an earlier version of the regulations"  Normally doesnt need a  code & covers anything i may have missed

How does that work then? Aren’t you supposed to check the install regardless of what regs it’s installed too? By all means acknowledge that it is indeed installed to an earlier version, thus covering the non compliance with current regs such as RCD etc but all other visual and physical tests should be done as required? You are not there to miss anythIng?

How does that work then? Aren’t you supposed to check the install regardless of what regs it’s installed too? By all means acknowledge that it is indeed installed to an earlier version, thus covering the non compliance with current regs such as RCD etc but all other visual and physical tests should be done as required? You are not there to miss anythIng?

What i meant was - if no further problems were spotted.  Any others found would of course be noted 

in some of the places I've tested spotting 'everything' would take moving of a lot of clutter and assorted detritous. You have to have  afew 'get out clauses' the most popular being 'not visually inspecting cables and items buried within the fabric of the building' . 

Maybe not BS7671 but in statute law there is a requirement that green is the off indication.
I think ...but am not sure now without taking a look ..... that the handle position is opposite as well .  Could be a problem if there was a new isolator by it ....someone could , say,   switch the new one off  "OK thats off"    switch the old one the same way  "OK thats off too"    When in fact it was on. 

I'm nailing the TP socket  it feeds as its a Lewden  with the screw-on cover missing , exposed TP  socket parts. 

I worked all night on a factory shutdown changing incoming 1600A/panel board

switched everything back on

went home

panic call

comms room down

went back

everything was switched on

went to comms room isolator, turned it off to test fuses, door wouldn't open

WTAF?

then I spotted it was a Dennis switch and all the others were MEM Excel

dennis switch handle was a different way round

i sem to,recall covering my arshe by saying a fuse lifted on startup surge 😅

In my opinion its worth a C3  .   Handle position is wrong ,   On/ Off  status colour is wrong ...it confuses me and I'm a genius   ( Stepps told me so)  .

The  decision to act on it is with the owners  .     

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts