OTT house rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this on my PC  ,  a house by me  asking about a rewire .     Apparently the former owner worked as maintenance spark at the local GEC  factory  .   Presumably when he needed to rewire his house , Twin & Earth would not be available  to "Borrow "  from work  but plenty of  one inch steel conduit  & VIR cable .

After a brief survey I became "extremely busy"  .    

Image034.jpg

Why so much outside?  Is the internal wiring also in conduit?  Even the extractor fan looks industrial.
There was a mixture of conduit &  just VIR 's  .   The 1"  conduits went to an extension  and yep   I think thats a big old GEC  extract fan .  They used to own Xpelair  which was next door to them .   Everything I looked at was a nightmare .     About 6 months later I noticed contractor's vans there  for quite a while .  

I had enough to do at the time without knocking myself on that .   

Up here I frequently find peoples sheds wired with weird spec funny coloured flexes that have clearly fallen off the back of an oil rig.

The power for garage/workshop and wash-house outbuildings at my old house were wired with 2.5mm heavy pyro which escaped a skip!  It was only about a couple of years old when stripped out.