Outside contractor PAT'ing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KME I don't see it as thread baiting, in fact I see quite the opposite. I've not posted recently for this reason: there appears to a mob mentality where anyone who doesn't tow (toe?) the line is ridiculed.

I am a strong advocate of mutual recognition and respect, I fear not all members of the forum are.

I understand why you would fail the item, I just happen to disagree!

I'm not thread baiting, it's a genuine question. The parts are not 'live' and are separated extra low voltage, so would cause no more danger than a 9V battery with the terminals exposed.

The remit of the PAT test is supposed to be portable appliances over 55V, but that ends within that power supply. Presumably you didn't test the appliance that was plugged into that power supply?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:33 ----------

Well I can assure you the short circuit protection in the smpu isnt working .... or infact isnt there at all............or doesnt latch O/C during a fault........because the radio was on before testing & still works after testingBut what do I know.
Clearly not a lot, as if the radio was working, there was not a short circuit...

Well I would fail it even if it is ELV. So you pass it then shorts out two days later or stops working it really would not then look good on you would it.

aptsys,

I would fail the device also, even though I agree to a certain extent with your argument.

However you consider it the device still comes under EAWR & PUWER98, thus the employer has a duty of care.

Is the device actually SELV?

I could not identify this from the pictures.

It is probably a SMPSU, IF the secondary shorts, can it be guaranteed that the inbuilt protection will function adequately, or not?...

Either way if it did short, then overheated and set fire to the Fire Station, there would be lots of egg on lots of faces!

Play safe fail it, does it meet the manuf' design, no this has been compromised, thus it could be deemed as no longer serviceable.

Just IMHO.

I'm not sure of your definite cut off of voltage at 55 though?

Is that in the IET CoP, or in HSE guidance?

I don't recall that, mind, I'm not a believer in PAT, as it is seen by most companies anyway.

There is a lot more to it really than just an annual test again IMHO, most of which is overlooked.

Thanks for your reply Sidewinder. In terms of your question about plug mounted or in-line SMPSUs, if the output is below 30W the outputs must be fully protected, meaning the voltage must collapse on short circuit and not cause any danger from overheating. They must also be isolating, which is inherent by the SMPSU topology (always flyback to meet the safety and efficiency standards in these power supplies).

The 55V thing was referenced in a guidance IET publication when I went to a seminar a few years ago, basically saying any appliance plugged in to mains or 110V CT transformers should be tested.