Outside lights (timers)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Got some flood lights on the outside of my house (3 Son lamps 70w) and a Energy Saver 35w (not too bothered about this one)

Got quite a large yard aswell. hence the large lights.

Ive got them switched and dusk dawn already.

But what i am thinking because im a tight arse! (just kidding)

Im thinking about sticking them on a timer as well so can switch them off around 2am.

Is there such a thing as a MCB with a timer built in?

Don't want it in the loft in case i need to over-ride the timer at night for any reason.

What is the best 24 hour timer to use if not a MCB one about.

In terns of security is it not a good plan to have them come on whenever it's dark?

How often are they tripped in the middle of the night anyways?

There not Tripped/triggered, there SON lamps, they come on and stay on from sun down to sun rise.

Security wise, 3 years not one issue. and were in the middle of a field.

I will also be fitting this year a couple of outside floods with PIR and dusk dawn. to trigger with movement. (forgot to mention this above)

Ive got Hager Boards if that helps.

Thanks

****** :(

i wont have room for one that takes 2 spaces and not changing CU lol. already got a 12 way and a 4 way in, one for house, one for heating.

Looks like il be looking for a Standard timer then, maybe an immersion heater timer could work.

its on one for all. The dusk Dawn sensor is in a position where it gets last light at night, and first light in the morning.

Then the lights have a dusk dawn sensor in them them selves. but these seem to be quite poor, as there on the side.

its on one for all. The dusk Dawn sensor is in a position where it gets last light at night, and first light in the morning.Then the lights have a dusk dawn sensor in them them selves. but these seem to be quite poor, as there on the side.
Maybe you could put a timer in a box next to dusk till dawn or use a steinel nightmatic 200 one like below.

Batty

http://www.moonlightdesign.co.uk/acatalog/Nightmatic_2000.html

yes there is a switch in the circuit.

and no i wont get up at 2am to switch it lol.

Im thinking to remove the main feed (there on there own circuit) remove feed from CU to next to it into some form of internal 24 hour timer, then a feed into CU.

Any on recommend some 24 hour times that are safe to be left (i dont trust these cheapo ones)

Pretty sure an immersion heater timer would do the same job?

I have a similar one to sort, normal timers are no good they won't switch that much load. Have a look at these, they incorporate a contactor in the housing.

Bulky though and haven't actually used it yet

most timers do, but this is massively downrated for inductive loads.

Having said that, I have 9 son's to control so 2 might be ok on a normal timer

Thanks for the help.

The switch above wont work, as its n a 3 gang Switch, with the other 2 been 2 way lighting.

I am thinking along the lines of one of these now, not the ideal way but may be the easiest.

Timer

Switch Rating 230V AC : 13 amp Resistive (3kW), Inductive 6A

That should be capable of handling the lights.

Latest posts