Outside spotlight Instalation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Paul my new found mate what is your profession just incase I need a favour?

perm live - comm

switch live (black sleeved brown) - L1

neutral (grey sleeved blue) - to neutral in original switch

earth (sleeved green/yellow) to - E

now if you ask for the connections at the other end .................

I understand what your saying mate but what do I do with neutral at new single gang switch? Put it into a piece of term block the same way they are at my existing switch? 

Something like this I think is what is being described by both you and others.

1mm² cable should be sufficient and easier to terminate.

Having the three core from switch to sensor allows more capability at later times if it is required, even if you do not install a manual override at the moment.

dusk dawn downlights with manual override.jpg

I Hope you get your lights all sorted Paul 1982. I will just add some observational comments re the overall progress of this thread, as I think it illustrates a classic problem forums like this can come across.

i.e. there can be some quite valid conflicts about how guidance should be given to these types of questions such as; 

(A) This really is quite a simple wiring problem and it could be said that anyone who has to ask probably is not competent enough to do the work.

(B) If anyone intending to do legally permitted DIY work in their own home needs to seek advice, it is better that they can ask professionals rather than other DIY'ers with limited knowledge.

(C) If a "Qualified" short course "electrician" had to ask similar type questions about a job they are charging a customer for, they should be banned from trading under false pretences.

(D) DIY'ers asking "apparently simple" questions regarding lighting circuits are most probably less of a danger than a similarly experienced DIY'er deciding to install a new shower circuit, cooker circuit, or 32A sub-main to a man-cave shed down the garden.

(E) The most basic concept that a standard light switch has no requirement for a neutral can confuse some DIY'ers who just have a simplistic view that all electrical items just have a "Live, Neutral, and Earth" to them.

(F) If a new poster doesn't get constructive help from here, they will just surf the internet to find another forum that will help them.

(G) In order for any forum to keep active and healthy a regular input of content and new members are essential elements.

I think this thread has progressed quite nicely.

Doc H.

Something like this I think is what is being described by both you and others.

1mm² cable should be sufficient and easier to terminate.

Having the three core from switch to sensor allows more capability at later times if it is required, even if you do not install a manual override at the moment.

View attachment 9699
Just seen this thanks mate 👍🏻

I’m going to position the spot lights in the positions where the 4 bits of tape are, the one that’s going to be above name plate has a baton of wood where I need to put the spot light. Anyone ever ran across that problem or any ideas what to do? 

59092C55-8CA9-48D8-BDCD-E2EB6658EB32.jpeg

Reposition them so you miss any battens is the normal method I would recommend. Its is general best to work out where the battens are, then decide upon how many lights you can fit symmetrically in your proposed location. In your case three lamps may be the best solution. 

Doc H.

Thing is I’m a bit ocd, was wanting them pointing down each brick wall and one above door that being 4 lights. Not sure where I could place 3 that I would be happy with. Just to note that the wooden baton isn’t actually part of the structure of the house. It’s just a bit of wood on the inside of the soffit that the soffit is nailed to. 

Like how all the smart arses try have a wee comment after the original question has been solved, I wonder what that tells you ffs 🤣🤷‍♂️

Just to note that the wooden baton isn’t actually part of the structure of the house. It’s just a bit of wood on the inside of the soffit that the soffit is nailed to. 

A bit of a contradiction in your statement there. But if the wood is not important, remove it and put your lights where you like.

Doc H.

It’s a simple question, do you take offence at it? If so why?
Bit of a random question tbh, why would you ask if I was from Essex? Why ask that? Also asked you a simple question what’s that supposed to mean? But yet you cannot answer it. 

Last edited by a moderator: