oven tripping rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellhartley

Reaction score
Every time i switch my oven on (thermostat) the main rcd trips. This happens reguardless wether its the grill or main oven. Ive cleaned the conections rmoved the live and turned rcd back on, as soon as i touch the live conection it trips. Is this purely a element problem or could it be the thermostat?

Many thanks

Hello Russell, Down under if a non sparks jumped on a elec forum and asked this advise he would be jumped all over. The reality is no one does ask tho. Is it legal for the layman to do basic repairs/replacements to appliance parts to fixed equipment.

It's not a good idea to touch live connections...

When you say you've moved the live do you mean line? Where did you move it to?

As Slipshod says above, if the RCD trips when you touch a live connection then the RCD is doing it's job (and saving your life!) It is not clear from your original post what you have actually done. When you say you've moved the live what exactly have you moved where?

My appologies for any confusion, I removed it from the conection on the thermostat and reset the RCD then touched it back on it which tripped the RCD. I'm actually just trying to find out if its the thermostat or the element that is causing the problem. It does'nt matter wether It's the main oven or the grill which has lead me to think it's the thermostat.

It's not a good idea to remove or reconnect live cables, as I'm sure you know electricity is dangerous and can kill. Does the same thermostat definitely control the oven and the grill?

If the RCD's tripping the line & neutral current are out of balance, somewhere current (either from line or neutral) is making it's way to earth & causing the imbalance. This could be an element breaking down, damaged insulation or a poor connection. Without being there it is hard to say for sure, if you're not sure maybe you should get someone qualified to have a look.

Thread moved. As has been suggested, the test methods discussed are not good practice. Proffessional help would be the best solution.

Doc H

I would stick with making jam and get somebody with an insulation meter to test your elements. Welcome to the forum by the way. :Welcome: