Part P Today With Another Firm

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
defo complain, this guy has obviuosly learn't 'gold plated' standards from leaning on the wholesalers counter and listening to bull for too many years.

One house is one fire compartment, no ceiling in a standard house is rated more than 30 mins unless it has a built in garage - had a building inspector on that years ago, who was insisting that a lathe and plaster ceiling needed fire rated downlighters. :slap

Lath and plaster as in wooden LATH held to the timber by a LATH nail

I sill call 1" round headed nails "lath nails".............but then again I am F reluctant to accept change

Green sleeve

Live

PYRO

Megger"...............etc etc etc
Now your showing your age

I know how you feel Gazza  .... after 100 years in the trade I was grilled last year on re-assessment for 5 hours ....sniping questions ,  just seemed to want to catch me out .       I'm fairly forgetful  and I don't fill my head with stuff I can look up an forget again ,  so I was told I was rusty on the Building Regs as I don't carry the air change extract rates of flow  for kitchen & bathrooms around in my ancient brain  .  Why would I want to do that ?

I'm also easy going but I'd just about had enough of the whole thing when he wound up the assessment and ******** off.

So I had a lecture on safe isolation for no reason.

The serial numbers of my 3 testers was carefully compared to the numbers on the recilib. certs.

Even asked to inspect my test lamps from the toolbox.

Generally treated like an imbecile.

Consequently after  a 6 year apprenticeship in industry & contracting .......which began before England won the World Cup...

JIB Approved Electrician .........

Site foreman  for years......on industrial. commercial domestic , overhead cranes , petrol refineries, MOD work, hospitals , schools, the BT Tower etc....

Supervisor on same stuff........

Estimator ......................

Then self employed electrician for 20 years...........

AND   Forum Sparks of the Year ........... after 50 years in the trade I was left feeling about as useful as a chocolate teapot and very Part Peed off TBH .

And all to be able to do a bit of house bashing . 

Meanwhile there are people carrying out electrical work like a guy the other day , not exactly British shall we say,  who asks me , " So what is this Wylex ..are all MCBs to be the Wylex?" :C

Which scheme?   Don't ask!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how you feel Gazza  .... after 100 years in the trade I was grilled last year on re-assessment for 5 hours ....sniping questions ,  just seemed to want to catch me out .       I'm fairly forgetful  and I don't fill my head with stuff I can look up an forget again ,  so I was told I was rusty on the Building Regs as I don't carry the air change extract rates of flow  for kitchen & bathrooms around in my ancient brain  .  Why would I want to do that ?

I'm also easy going but I'd just about had enough of the whole thing when he wound up the assessment and ******** off.

So I had a lecture on safe isolation for no reason.

The serial numbers of my 3 testers was carefully compared to the numbers on the recilib. certs.

Even asked to inspect my test lamps from the toolbox.

Generally treated like an imbecile.

Consequently after  a 6 year apprenticeship in industry & contracting .......which began before England won the World Cup...

JIB Approved Electrician .........

Site foreman  for years......on industrial. commercial domestic , overhead cranes , petrol refineries, MOD work, hospitals , schools, the BT Tower etc....

Supervisor on same stuff........

Estimator ......................

Then self employed electrician for 20 years...........

AND   Forum Sparks of the Year ........... after 50 years in the trade I was left feeling about as useful as a chocolate teapot and very Part Peed off TBH .

And all to be able to do a bit of house bashing . 

Meanwhile there are people carrying out electrical work like a guy the other day , not exactly British shall we say,  who asks me , " So what is this Wylex ..are all MCBs to be the Wylex?" :C

Which scheme?   Don't ask!!
:shakehead

........well I shouldn't  ask Mr Smith  ....   :(   ..we try not to upset Mr Smith ..........
Haven't seen him on the forum for a while

Your 5 hour ordeal Evans just makes me glad we don't have..... oh I'm not allowed to say that.  But if ever it was introduced up here would probably be the thing that made me retire, and do something less taxing for the remainder.

After the day I've had today I'm thinking the same.

Client complaining about daywork charges , saying finding fault on 2Amp socket would have only taken 2 minutes, 3 full chases and twin boxes flushed must have only taken 1 Hour, render was like concrete, plus replacing broken dimmers, lights and switches must have only taken minutes. I give up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just found out today that I am level 5. I called up today to say that I do not have a NVQ3, OK said the nice lady, after some questions and answers she informed me that I was level 5. Well equivalent to, as I have never done a NVQ. I then asked her what is the highest level. Apparently its a level 8 which is a doctorship.

So that would make Sidewinder a level 7 !!!

Haven't seen him on the forum for a while

Your 5 hour ordeal Evans just makes me glad we don't have..... oh I'm not allowed to say that.  But if ever it was introduced up here would probably be the thing that made me retire, and do something less taxing for the remainder.
Dave , patronising was the word I should have used ,   the usual guy is great BTW .

None of us knows it all...and I'm starting to forget most of it now .but I don't need to be patronised and lectured on how to test for dead .    Extract rates for bathrooms ........who bloody cares ..look it up  FFS

I have just found out today that I am level 5. I called up today to say that I do not have a NVQ3, OK said the nice lady, after some questions and answers she informed me that I was level 5. Well equivalent to, as I have never done a NVQ. I then asked her what is the highest level. Apparently its a level 8 which is a doctorship.

So that would make Sidewinder a level 7 !!!
I should probably get a "real" job & make use of it I suppose?...

Latest posts