PC Setup Menu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extension15

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Dell 3100...................

I want to reinstall XP (wipe the PC, it's the only way forward).

No matter how much I try (USB keyboard only) pressing F2 or F12, I can't access the menus concerned and the PC carries on and installs Xp to the log on prompt.

Any way round creating a delay, using the boot.ini file perhaps so I can access this?

(To set the PC to boot from a disc)

I work on Dell PCs and laptops every day, can you get into the bios?

You should be able to get into it at boot by hitting the F2 key (you may not be prompted for the F2 key as it can be hidden in a bios setting), once you are in the bios make sure that boot from CD is enabled.

I'm assuming you have a bootable XP cd/dvd, not all of them are!

I work on Dell PCs and laptops every day, can you get into the bios?You should be able to get into it at boot by hitting the F2 key (you may not be prompted for the F2 key as it can be hidden in a bios setting), once you are in the bios make sure that boot from CD is enabled.

I'm assuming you have a bootable XP cd/dvd, not all of them are!
Yes I have Oliver, but as I say, F2 does not work and believe me I've tried an endless number of times (I see the prompt, but it does not respond).

:(

Heres my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Can I change any of this to help me out?

:|

do the F keys have a second function that is turned on, so computer isnt seeing F2 etc is pressed?
Not as far as I'm aware...

I'm really peed off, I was hoping to do it today, the whole process alone takes about 4 hours including updates..

X(

Not as far as I'm aware...I'm really peed off, I was hoping to do it today, the whole process alone takes about 4 hours including updates..

X(
only 4 hours?! dont forget, by the time you get your programs and files installed, its about 4 days!

How old is this machine? Older PC's didn't initialize the USB ports earlier enough in POST so you always had to use a PS2 KB to get into the BIOS. Have you got a PS2 KB or another USB KB to try?

Ian.

How old is this machine? Older PC's didn't initialize the USB ports earlier enough in POST so you always had to use a PS2 KB to get into the BIOS. Have you got a PS2 KB or another USB KB to try?Ian.
No....

:_|

Sorted.............

I plugged the Keyboard (usb) into the Motherboard usb slot, as opposed to the USB expansion card I fitted..

(Obviously gets interface later)

Now have access to the SETUP menu...

:p ] :)

Setup menu changed (Looks at CD drive first), ready for the big wipe tomorrow.....

:eek:

; \

on this subject,,,,

now, I will need taken by the hand here, cos Im a computer noob,! :D

my laptop has started taking for ever to start up, runs okish when finally gets going, Im talking about 3-5 mins here!!!!

WHY? is it just trying to load too many fish all at once at the beginning? when it does get going there isnt anything showing as using anything up when I do the ctrl/alt/delete thingy.

I have another PC that is almost as old, a dell something but 2.6speed, but it cant see the DVD drive properly or something, keeps saying driver installation failed, so it wont actually read a disc, so I cant get on the internet to download a new driver until I load up FF (or even IE, its not on it!).

what can I do?

please reply to both questions using the ladybird system of wording, I really am lost once I go past the BS1362 part of these things.

thanks muchos, Albert.

on this subject,,,,now, I will need taken by the hand here, cos Im a computer noob,! :D

my laptop has started taking for ever to start up, runs okish when finally gets going, Im talking about 3-5 mins here!!!!

WHY? is it just trying to load too many fish all at once at the beginning? when it does get going there isnt anything showing as using anything up when I do the ctrl/alt/delete thingy.

I have another PC that is almost as old, a dell something but 2.6speed, but it cant see the DVD drive properly or something, keeps saying driver installation failed, so it wont actually read a disc, so I cant get on the internet to download a new driver until I load up FF (or even IE, its not on it!).

what can I do?

please reply to both questions using the ladybird system of wording, I really am lost once I go past the BS1362 part of these things.

thanks muchos, Albert.
use a memory pen stick, to transfer the files needed between the internet type computer and the stick, then plug ones stick into ones other computer and hey presto once transferred across, thats bob your uncle and fannies you aunt as they sxay :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

use a memory pen stick, to transfer the files needed between the internet type computer and the stick, then plug ones stick into ones other computer and hey presto once transferred across, thats bob your uncle and fannies you aunt as they sxay :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O
good thinking badgman!

Ive even got one of them, will prob take me a while tho, so best leave it til the weekend.! thanks, :)

Steptoe... :D

Have you?

1 Cleaned up old files?

2 Then, performed a defrag?

How's things after this?

Pray

Steptoe... :D Have you?

1 Cleaned up old files?

2 Then, performed a defrag?

How's things after this?

Pray
havent cleaned up old files, just deleted, is this same place as de-frag?

done 2 defrags this week, and a reapir thing on start up.

havent cleaned up old files, just deleted, is this same place as de-frag?done 2 defrags this week, and a reapir thing on start up.
There are many more options to improve/check your system..

Could be your Hard-drive has bad sectors..

I'll see if I can find a link (or perhaps someone else (as I'm bladdered))..

:D

Steptoe when you've done the defrag, what does the display look like?

Fairly solid looking blue area, with all reds about gone?

(And a green bit of course)

:)

Latest posts