PC Setup Menu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steptoe... :D Have you?

1 Cleaned up old files?

2 Then, performed a defrag?

How's things after this?

Pray
found clean up,

do I need to do a de frag afterwards too?

its only a 60gb hard drive, with 52gb available.(does XP use 8gb?!)

but I have over 25gb free.

Steptoe when you've done the defrag, what does the display look like?Fairly solid looking blue area, with all reds about gone?

(And a green bit of course)

:)
yep, just the odd very thin white bit, NO red bits so to speak of.

have just cleaned up, and am doing yet another de frag, have previously deleted all cookies etc, (I think), using tools on FF toolbar.

my niece has been using computer and was thinking maybe downloaded something that is trying to start up each time I turn on,!?!?!

but nothing on virus scans, AVG & Avira.

Then the problem is elsewhere else...
Steptoe:

Go into My PC..

Right click on C:drive..

Choose Tools, then Error Checking, tick both boxes and click start..

As its the C drive you will be prompted to restart...

Restart and wait (It does take a while, up to 60 mins)

Hows things after this?

Perhaps best done when off line..

:D

Steptoe:Go into My PC..

Right click on C:drive..

Choose Tools, then Error Checking, tick both boxes and click start..

As its the C drive you will be prompted to restart...

Restart and wait (It does take a while, up to 60 mins)

Hows things after this?

Perhaps best done when off line..

:D
thanks, will do for turning on tomoz evening, tho, the more I think about this the more Im starting to think it all began to slow down round about the time I started to use avira.....

perhaps there is a conflict with running two anti virus programmes at one time.?!

thanks, will do for turning on tomoz evening, tho, the more I think about this the more Im starting to think it all began to slow down round about the time I started to use avira.....perhaps there is a conflict with running two anti virus programmes at one time.?!
why would you want to do that?

New install of XP Pro completed.....

And I've got me speed back..

Now just the issue of setting everything back up again... :_|

Erm, me keyboard format is wrong and I'm struggling to change it back?

@ is on the number 2 key???

?:| ? :|

Change keyboard language settings from English US to English UK.

One other hing, did I read you right, you only have a 60GB hard drive?

If that's so, I would consider getting a bigger one. I find computers with small hard drives start slowing down, when they get about half full.

Get say a IDE 150GB, put your operating system on it, and use the other hard drive for data. If you store all your pictures and documents on the data hard drive, when you re-install the operating system on the main hard drive, they will still be there.

Change keyboard language settings from English US to English UK.One other hing, did I read you right, you only have a 60GB hard drive?

If that's so, I would consider getting a bigger one. I find computers with small hard drives start slowing down, when they get about half full.

Get say a IDE 150GB, put your operating system on it, and use the other hard drive for data. If you store all your pictures and documents on the data hard drive, when you re-install the operating system on the main hard drive, they will still be there.
that would be me, and to be honest most of this stuff I need to move off this computer to another.

so can I just get a USB thing one and move everything?

this is a laptop, and I need to move it all to a desktop,

DONT get too technical. or even any technical TBH.

thanks.

that would be me, and to be honest most of this stuff I need to move off this computer to another.so can I just get a USB thing one and move everything?

this is a laptop, and I need to move it all to a desktop,

DONT get too technical. or even any technical TBH.

thanks.
You can get rather large USB data sticks these days...

:p