Pipe ThermostatWiring with standard stat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

Got an electric boiler in my place.

One problem

The max temperature of the heating system water is up at 85 - 90 degrees.

Our house since nicely at 15 Degrees throughout.

What i am wanting do to is have the heating on but not allow the water to get much more than 65/70 degrees max!

So i am wondering

Has any one done this, or got any tips for me...

Im wanting a thermostat to control the heating Currently thermostat is wired direct to boiler

(Full timer system also, but thats wired seperate to thermostat)

What i am wanting to do is the following.

If thermostat is on and water temp is below say 70 heating on, once water temp hits 70 the pipe stat would turn it off.

EVEN IF the house temp was not at 15 degrees (thermostat setting)

To me its a waste of energy when a boilers running so hot, the systems hot aswell and it just keeps pumping it round, id rather it switch off, let the temp drop beloew set temperature then kick back on to bring it up to temperature.

(all rads are untouchable within 20 minutes of coming on)

Sorry if its not that clear but any help appreciated.

Just wire the current return from the room stat through a pipe stat clamped to the return at the boiler. Sorted.

Although you may want to experiment a bit as I think you might end up with the pipe stat knocking the heating off before any air heats up.

i would experiment a bit yeah, its only used in the rooms to slightly warm them. Even if i had pipe stat set up at 80 just so the rads get some heat in. Thats all that matters.

Its an electric boiler, previous circuit board had a temperature control built onto it, so that it hit the desired temp then kept pump running and just kicked in to keep it at set temperature.

Had to have board changed, and its a different board now

Big solid fuel burner heats up half of house :) Heatings there just to take the edge off rest of house.

I`d be tempted to modify it slightly from Lurch`s idea, so that you don`t shut the pump down, just the heater..........

As he says, pipe stat on return by boiler; wired to appropriate spot (dependant on pump=integral or external. External`d be easier to deal with - you could just but your pipe stat in series with the boiler feed from controls; not KW supply line!!!

HTH

KME

External pump.

i was thinking along them lines last night but got far too tired lol

this is the boiler

The thermostat controls the pump via the boiler. Boiler turns the pump on and off when required. Although, i cannot for the life of me remember where that was wired to, im sure its in the wiring centre box in the loft.

Mmmm.

You could just interrupt the standard `stat line, as per Mr. Lurch`s post. However, it would prob. make more sense to keep the pump running, then you`re effectively using the water temp. as a house-wide stat. i.e. If a room is cold, the water travelling through that rad. will cool down more, which will refire your boiler. I`d be looking to interrupt the supply to the relay coil, which powers the element.

Hope that makes sense.....

KME

(about to have "medicinal" Irish coffee.....:xMrs. KME)

get that :)

might be a job for tomorrow lol nowt else to do. no kids and off to parents for dinner so plenty of spare time :)

Latest posts