PIR landlord requirement????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
every rented property must have a periodic inspection before each tenant by law (or when periodic inspection is due in your own house 10yrs max) did not think it was a legal requirement myself but took this up with an niceic miet senior regional engineer who quoted a reg to me which under BS7671:2008 all rented accomadations must have a periodic inspection carried out before moving a tenant in.cheers rob
BS7671 is NOT a statutory regulation,

and nor do niceic (who dont write it but think they do!)have any say in the law either (even if they like to think they make that as well!)

none of the above are legal statements.

EAWR is STATUTORY, as is a landlords legal duty of care.

just write your letter stating the landlords duty of care as regards to the electrical installation.

job done.

if you need some work you could scare them by pointing out the new changes to the novel.!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

BS7671 is NOT a statutory regulation,and nor do niceic (who dont write it but think they do!) have any say in the law either (even if they like to think they make that as well!)

How very True, Sir.

yes binky......along with 8 other estate/letting agents....going well....gave up working for builders/ wanchors.... how bout you bud

yes binky......along with 8 other estate/letting agents....going well....gave up working for builders/ wanchors.... how bout you bud
Hello RAF, you are still alive then;). Backed off from letting agents after previous bad experience with FSP (now re-named and sold off or something). They wanted cheap prices and 10%, and dodgy jobs if I was daft enough to sign pieces of paper for them. X( . Mostly doing domestic though have recently taken on a letting agency, but still not keen on paying 10% to some monkey to live-off my back!! Interestingly enough, agency was telling landlords they don't need PIRs, so have corrected them, and I'm hoping to reap the rewards. Needless to say prices have increased by 10% to cover agency, plus slow payment terms.

Question is have you worked out who I am yet? :| Do you really give a sh1t anyway? :| :^O

Hi no legal requirement but it is laid down, in Giudance note 3 page 14. Section 1.3.2 Periodic inspection and testing carried out at appropriate intervals is a practical way of identifying where maintenance work is most required in order to keep the accomodation in a condition that is SAFE. for use. Perhaps quoting this would be usefull.

Landlords have a `duty of care` to ensure that the services in a rental property are safe and fit for purpose - but they are not obliged to actually have the electrical installation tested! If they are prepared to state that, as far as they are aware, the electrical installation is ok then there is not a lot anyone can do about it (at present). Some letting agents insist on a PIR before they let a property out, and at regular intervals but they seem to be the minority.

There are moves to improve the situation ( a `white paper` is currently going through Parliament ) but MP`s are involved so........ :(

Landlords have a `duty of care` to ensure that the services in a rental property are safe and fit for purpose - but they are not obliged to actually have the electrical installation tested!
Absolutely sir.. NOBODY is obliged to have any elec testing done! :(

Our job would be easier if they were!! X(

Just to clarify, what our esteemed Mr Steptoe often reminds us.. maybe his catch phrase...

And I quote from BS7671 17th edition, Page 13, 114 Relationship with statutory regulations.

114.1 The regulations are non-statutory. They may however be used in a court of law in evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirement. The relevant statutory provisions are listed in Appendix 2 & include acts of parliament & regulations made thereunder. etc.. . ... ...
(appendix 2 can be found on page 240!)

As you also say EVERY item of goods supplied AND EVERY service provided... SHOULD be fit for purpose..

I believe this could come under the Sale of goods & services act 1982!

possibly a tenant could claim under this statutory regulation if they found something was defective and not fit for purpose...

However this could only be claimed after the service was provided..

so a prospective tenant couldn't insist on inspection PRIOR to receiving the services provided by their rental/tenancy agreement??

thats my understanding for what its worth...

but the regs are most defiantly guidance for good practice ONLY!

Beware BS7671 does not just deal with installation wiring, it is also a legal document which outlines requirements of the building regulations, building regulations are legal requirements hence BS7671 is a legally binding document, included in this document are outlines with regards to periodic inspections however you will find the legal requirement for carrying out periodic inspections before renting oout a property on the HSE's website.
Sorry - must just point out that this post is complete and utter molluscs! X(

Obviously, you`ve never read the document you`re quoting.

Just for the hard of hearing:

BS7671 is NOT a legally binding document.

BS7671 is NOT a statutory regulation,and nor do niceic (who dont write it but think they do!)have any say in the law either (even if they like to think they make that as well!)

EAWR is STATUTORY, as is a landlords legal duty of care.just write your letter stating the landlords duty of care as regards to the electrical installation.

job done.

if you need some work you could scare them by pointing out the new changes to the novel.!!! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O
I love you Steps. :^O

Latest posts