Pme Upgrade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to dabble a bit - plus doing comms in the navy for 5 years.....Go for it - please m8.
NAVY,?

eh?

now there's an earthing system to behold,

oil rigs use something similar i believe, never worked on a battleship('cept Mrs Steptoe :^O ), but done a bit on the rigs.

little light comes on to tell you there is a fault, but no fuse to blow!

well we couldnt have your guns stop working in the middle of a salvo just because roger stuck his hand in the socket could we?

bit like an earth free zone if you like, or like a car, negative earth,

even like a TNCS without the S bit. weird stuff TBH, but interesting. :)

I'll have a look for that link ,

its basically an antenna array linked to the natural ground(earth) that ended up carrying phase potential back thru the installation earth cos a N broke just outside on a PME,

turned out to be a few doors down actually had the fault! thats why your main bond has to be capable of not only carrying your fault load, but your neighbours as well.! (PME only)

turned out to be a few doors down actually had the fault! thats why your main bond has to be capable of not only carrying your fault load, but your neighbours as well.! (PME only)
Now there's a point to ponder??? ?:|

Neighbours PME getting a path back via your Earth!! :eek: :O:O

Its these little side comments that just get you back to thinking about the bigger picture...

You just keep dropping these little gems Mr Step's;) ;)

Now there's a point to ponder??? ?:| Neighbours PME getting a path back via your Earth!! :eek: :O:O

Its these little side comments that just get you back to thinking about the bigger picture...

You just keep dropping these little gems Mr Step's;) ;)
:8} :x :8} :x :8} :x

it really is scary stuff tho SL.

Im on TNS at the mo, but seriously considering going full TT,

esp as the little one will be getting curious as he gets bigger and starts sticking fingers and what not in places he shouldnt.!!

Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in on the thread, but after stumbling across this information it got me thinking.

The supply to my house is PME and comes from a pole on the other side of the street.

It's fed across the road as 4 separate conductors to the eaves of the house where I can see 4 individual connectors where these cables are joined to the 4 cables which run down the side of the house and through to the head (only 1 phase is in use).

Presumably there is a much greater chance of a neutral failure with this setup than if it were run in concentric?

Hi Guys,Sorry to butt in on the thread, but after stumbling across this information it got me thinking.

The supply to my house is PME and comes from a pole on the other side of the street.

It's fed across the road as 4 separate conductors to the eaves of the house where I can see 4 individual connectors where these cables are joined to the 4 cables which run down the side of the house and through to the head (only 1 phase is in use).

Presumably there is a much greater chance of a neutral failure with this setup than if it were run in concentric?
for sure,

I would deffo NOT want this in my house, not ever under any circumstances.

this was one of the main reasons that (originally) IMO it wasnt allowed to have PME overhead.

get a spark in and change it to TT, far far safer in your situation TBH,

IMHO.

or just get dno to put underground supply across instead and tell them the suply is dangerous anyway so needs upgrading. :p ; ) ;) :^O :^O

or just get dno to put underground supply across instead and tell them the suply is dangerous anyway so needs upgrading. :p ; ) ;) :^O :^O
and we all know what they will do. :|

disconnect the earth and tell you to supply it yourself,

ie, TT the house.

Hi guys glad this thread has thrown up some interest, i have decided to tt the house that only has a earth to incoming water supply,as it is cheaper than getting anyone on the phone who gives a **** and who dosen,t try to fob you off to someone else.

However the house that has the pme supply has 16mm tails coming in and the insulation looks like a off red braided material after all the hassle they give us is it my responsibility to ask the supplyer to change them or should they know they need doing.

They dump us with the 17th but how safe is there stuff if we dont notify them ? cheers ssab.

Hi guys glad this thread has thrown up some interest, i have decided to tt the house that only has a earth to incoming water supply,as it is cheaper than getting anyone on the phone who gives a **** and who dosen,t try to fob you off to someone else.However the house that has the pme supply has 16mm tails coming in and the insulation looks like a off red braided material after all the hassle they give us is it my responsibility to ask the supplyer to change them or should they know they need doing.

They dump us with the 17th but how safe is there stuff if we dont notify them ? cheers ssab.
Always good to bat a few ideas & thoughts about...

Probably best as you say to go TT. :D

As for your "Old" braided 16mm's

IMHO you need to step back from your electrical thoughts and think as a buisness...

i.e. Is the customer going to pay you for chasing & sorting something relating to their property that is actually the responsibility of the supply company??? you could waste several hours (& thus money) phoning tying to sort it out..

Personally I would do all of your proper work..

make sure it all complies to current regs..

then advise the customer in writing of your concerns about the safety of the incoming tails.

Suggesting THEY get in touch with the supply company asking them to verify the integrity, safety & compliance with current regs. :D

IF the customer ask's you to do it .. agree a price for this bit of work! ;)

Always good to bat a few ideas & thoughts about...Probably best as you say to go TT. :D

As for your "Old" braided 16mm's

IMHO you need to step back from your electrical thoughts and think as a buisness...

i.e. Is the customer going to pay you for chasing & sorting something relating to their property that is actually the responsibility of the supply company??? you could waste several hours (& thus money) phoning tying to sort it out..

Personally I would do all of your proper work..

make sure it all complies to current regs..

then advise the customer in writing of your concerns about the safety of the incoming tails.

Suggesting THEY get in touch with the supply company asking them to verify the integrity, safety & compliance with current regs. :D

IF the customer ask's you to do it .. agree a price for this bit of work! ;)
would agree,

is there an isolator, or set of ISCOs/henley blocks ?

then you can ensure as far as is possible your side is ok, and advise accordingly that supply authority is required to upgrade.

Thanks for that S/L and Steptoe.

I do tend to worry about these things as i only want things to be safe but as you say it is the responsibility of the client and supplier . I will take your advise on this one and in the future, i am always finding things like this so can only asume we are the only ones who keep records of our installs and the suppliers havent got a clue when they should update there side of things.

Henley block present so o.k for me.

Many Thanks to all who contributed to this post i learnt several things from this. SSAB. :)

Latest posts