Pricing For Emergency Lighting Tests.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedster

Reaction score
Hi All.

I need to price for carrying out 3 hour test runs on 5 x 3 storey blocks of flats.

There are about 6 emergency light fittings in each block.

The blocks are all in the same small town and the town is 20 minutes drive from my office.

One more thing, there is no existing documentation , so I will need to get some maintenance records set up.

Any help on pricing this would be gratefully received !!!

Speedster.

I bet theres a Polish bloke who'll do it for £3.75 + a mug of tea!

On a more serious note.....

How can any anyone NOT know how to calculate their hourly rate then add any materials / travel / admin costs etc... 

Fundamental concept of running any business....

Otherwise you will never know if you are making sufficient profit to cover your overheads and make a living!

:C

:coat

How far apart are the blocks??

If they're next to each other then you may be able to go around then all turning off the em lights therefore making the testing take say 4 or 5 hours,,,, then you'd have to allow a couple of hours for the paperwork/log book creation...

So that takes you to 6 or 7 hours straight away without any wriggle room, but as you won't be able to do anything else in that remaining hour then bill them for a full day + whatever materials that you use

There is a lot more to testing emergency lighting than meets the eye, for instance without a valid electrical installation certificate for those circuits the tests are useless.

Without a light meter the tests are useless, you cannot rely on manufacturers photometric data as the lamps have aged since installed.

Get it wrong and your out of pocket, or in court, or both.

Realistically Manator, EM lighting can ONLY be fully tested on a cloudy night, with all external shared lighting disabled so that it has no affect on the data from the EM's you are testing.

Else it would not totally comply with the requirements, unless, you re-lamp and simply test the battery duration...

All I said was more than meets the eye!!

Thats why I try and shy away from testing them.