problems with DNO

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan794

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Trying to get the DNO to come out to address their TNS earth on a job i'm working on at the moment. No met, and the sheath earth disappears up behind the meter back board. I want to upgrade the bonding arrangements as im fitting a new shower cu but trying to get them out is a nightmare, any tips to get them to come out.

If you check on previous posts here Stan , I think you'll find they have to maintain their earth connection under ESQCR 2002 regulations .

. Quote that at them . Which bunch of w..... erm ... who is your DNO ? If you get nowhere , go through your MP , don't Part Pee about with them , most of them don't want to maintain the system , just milk what they can and sell it to another foreign company.

Unfortunately under the present system , these things don't get addressed until sparks like us attend the property and make it happen.

I must have been to hundreds of places where sparks have been in adding , showers, kitchen alterations , a new cooker , even a complete rewire but still never addressed the most important and obvious problem ............no main earth connection or at best , one with a carp reading.

Much like the other ever present curse........ how many times have you been asked to add a ,cooker circuit say, ...are there any spare ways ? No!! most ways have 300 cables in each one ....so once again its down to us to replace the board , not the 4 or 5 previous blokes who walk away from these things.

AND DON'T EVEN START ME ON " WHY DIDN' T THE LAST 4 OR 5 BLOKES PUT THE BONDING IN????? " headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check on previous posts here Stan , I think you'll find they have to maintain their earth connection under ESQCR 2002 regulations .
but if the Ze is within limits, and the property does have an earth, then the DNO wont be interested

The Ze is within limits, however i would like to upgrade the present arrangement but the way it has been installed does not allow me access to it. Central Networks - i'll try again Monday.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:09 ----------

AND DON'T EVEN START ME ON " WHY DIDN' T THE LAST 4 OR 5 BLOKES PUT THE BONDING IN????? " headbang
Tell me about it. bad day explode

I think you will struggle to get them out if its in limits after all they don't work to BS7671, so there is no reason for them to supply a 16mm earth. I usually stick there earth into an earth block and take my 16mm from there to earth terminal in consumer unit.

The Ze is within limits, however i would like to upgrade the present arrangement but the way it has been installed does not allow me access to it. Central Networks - i'll try again Monday.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:09 ----------

Tell me about it. bad day explode
you dont need the DNO out to install TT ! ;)

I've had so many probs with DNOs over the last few years so many times that now I DNON'T even bother with them if I can avoid it... I've just done 12 flats in Coventry (rewires) firstly they won't reconnect the existing supplies which is 3 lots of 3phase supplies incoming into a core of of 3 areas... Straight forward to sort out for distribution but no,

Probably unless it electrically heated a 60 amp supply is enough.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:37 ----------

Probably unless it electrically heated a 60 amp supply is enough.
Not a goods idea to vandalise DNO property.

They are electrically heated, electrically showered and electrically cookered!!!! No gas on site........

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:01 ----------

Vandalism, no no no , I agree.... However.....!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:02 ----------

Vandalism, no no no , I agree.... However.....!

Lol, that bad mate.
Most of the jointers that I meet on site are fine , its being unable to speak to anyone over the age of 12 on their phone line. The office book of all phone numbers has names of engineers and metering foremen etc who were at the original DNO which was the MEB (Midlands Electricity Board) , you could ask for them and be put through , now you can't speak to and engineer at all.

In an attempt to get something done once, I gave up phoning and sent it in writing, requesting whatever earth they could do at property in my own road, cable sheath or PME .

Note , this was on an Evans Electric letterhead.

They wrote back to say the network would not support PME or TN-S at my own address and I should employ an electrical contractor urgently.

I am well aware that their old cast clamp joints are breaking down and the earths are failing but there are many PME supplies in this road. I phoned them once to say that most properties in this area have high imp.main earths or no earth whatsoever ,and no one is aware until a sparky does some work there and checks the Ze .

The 12 year old told me it wasn't their concern and I should get an electrician in.

It was about that time that I stopped bothering them.

There does seem to be a HUGE difference in the attitudes of DNO's

I have to say, I have always found Scottish & Southern to be helpful, both up here in the Highlands, and when I was Darn Sarf years ago.

The only time I have problems up here is when the customers energy supplier is not the DNO. The DNO say they can only action a request from the energy supplier, and often the energy supplier don't know what you are talking about, or tell you to call the DNO.

The worst I have encountered is N Power who wouldn't action a request for meter tails (from head to meter) to be upgraded by phone. The parrot on the end of the phone just kept saying "put your request in writing" which I did, but I don't know if it was ever actioned.

So I'm afraid I advise customers to stick to Scottish Hydro as their energy supplier, then they know they will get good service if something goes wrong. Saving a few