rcd protected socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
Hi, i need to install an additional socket spurred from the ring, There is no rcd protection on the socket circuit (pme). I would like to install an rcd to protect the whole socket circuit but the board is very old. So i was going to install an rcd protected socket to keep to the regs and keep it simple, but what about the socket i'm spurring from does this need to protected as well. Cheers

To expand a little on Andys accurate and succinct answer ;) , your cable will also need protecting if you intend to sink it in. If surface in trunking (or whatever), an RCD socket will do.

So if the cable was chased into the wall, the socket i was spurring from and the spurred socket would need to be rcd protected sockets, would this protect the cable?

No,

The bit of burried cable and the new socket will need RCD protection,

however you could run the cable in trunking, in correctly bushed metal conduit or use BS8436 cable and the cable wouldn't need RCD protection, but your new socket would

Latest posts